General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Apr-17 18:18:59
Print Post

Find FTTP availability for an exchange

[link to this post]

In one of the other threads it was noted FTTPoD required FTTP to be supported by your exchange. I had noted FTTPoD was available recently but didn't know there is any FTTP being used locally.

We've never been on any FTTP rollout list, but I guess some infill or EO could be using FTTP.

Is there any way to see where FTTP is available in my exchange area?

The exchange is Ashington, Northumberland. Code is NEAT

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NEAT

Kris

Sky Fibre
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Mon 10-Apr-17 18:29:19
Print Post

Re: Find FTTP availability for an exchange

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Cabinet E_1 FTTP from 18th November 2014
Cabinet P30 FTTP from 23rd September 2014
Cabinet P62 FTTP from 26th August 2014
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Apr-17 18:32:11
Print Post

The other thread has some very confusing replies to a simple Opening Post question. I suggest you ignore the thread as it isn't relevant to any particular individual. Only what the BT Wholesale checker shows for each line matters.

I see you are wondering about other areas on your exchange. I assume you might consider moving to one. That I can't help with sorry. As far as I know what the poster saying this is the only person doing so. AIUI the only difference at the exchange between FTTC and FTTP is that a CP needs a separate GEA cable link for each. Though I think I read recently that problem may have been resolved,

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 10-Apr-17 18:33:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Apr-17 18:40:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob,

Noted smile

I'm pretty sure the cost of moving house is probably on par with ordering FTTPoD.

I'm just curious as to where it is smile

Kris

Sky Fibre
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Apr-17 18:45:50
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks!

The exchange went live in summer 2012 so these are more recent additions.

BDUK have spent loads in the county, but mainly in the more rural areas, we're meant to be covered by BT's commercial rollout.

I'm off to work out where these are smile I've no plans to move house but you never know!

Kris

Sky Fibre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Apr-17 18:57:31
Print Post

Map of postcodes where native FTTP is available from Openreach https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 19:07:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The other thread has some very confusing replies to a simple Opening Post question.

Not really, the OP in that thread asked "Has the list of exchanges/cabs offering FTTPoD been expanded? " to which the answer is a clear YES, since Openreach have only in the last few months made available FTTPoD to the majority of FTTC users yet you seem to think this has been the case for the last few years which is incorrect. Only selected exchanges had FTTPoD available until recently and obviously you had to be in a FTTC area. Now its available pretty much in every area where there is FTTC on the condition the exchange also supports FTTP - which most/many do already. This can be confirmed by doing line checks on the BT/OR checker.

Why does a FTTC exchange need to be FTTP ready in order to support FTTPoD? I imagine support for beefier line cards, higher capacity BT Wholesale backhaul links already in place (ideally 10 gb/s rather than 1gb/s), more space to put in the OLTs etc are just some of the obvious reasons.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 10-Apr-17 19:27:50)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Apr-17 19:39:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew that's great!

There's a cluster around the exchange near the town centre, a new business park to be south east, and in an old village that only ended up part of the town as the main town grew (2 streets that probably don't even have a nearby cabinet)

Overall there's very little residential areas covered. Which makes sense as the area is "economically challenged" shall we say frown

Kris

Sky Fibre
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 21:49:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Map of postcodes where native FTTP is available from Openreach https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#...

What leads to a dot appearing on the map? Is data collated from a number of speed test sites?

Michael Chare
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 10-Apr-17 22:25:48
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

What leads to a dot appearing on the map? Is data collated from a number of speed test sites?

Who knows. Maybe Andrew can advise. But there's no way to feedback errors.

I notice Greasby in Wirral shows Openreach FTTP and Virgin Media as being advailable in a group of roads. Interestingly that's the exact same set of roads that Virgin did their PIA trial back in 2011 (may just be a very odd coincidence). But neither Openreach FTTP nor Virgin Media are available in that area, I've no idea why the map thinks they are. There also isn't and never has been cable in New Brighton.

Edited by Icaras (Mon 10-Apr-17 22:30:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to