General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kaidanalenko
(newbie) Thu 13-Apr-17 02:59:46
Print Post

Can't get BT Fibre despite exchange being fibre enabled

[link to this post]

Hi all. I live in a major UK city and I have been checking the BT Openreach fibre availability checker which is located here at least once a month for the last three years. My postcode is still showing as "We Are Exploring Solutions", which means there are currently no plans to offer fibre in my area. My exchange is showing as being fibre enabled. There are numerous other postcodes within a one-mile radius of my street which are fibre enabled. I can't understand why other nearby postcodes can receive fibre, but my street can't despite being served by the same exchange. The only option for superfast broadband here is Virgin Media. I would jump ship to BT or Sky in a flash if I could get fibre from them. I am wondering if there is anyone on TB with knowledge of how individual postcodes become fibre enabled who could shed some light on the situation. Also is there a department at BT I can contact to enquire about why my street isn't in the fibre rollout plans?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Apr-17 06:42:27
Print Post

Re: Can't get BT Fibre despite exchange being fibre enabled

[re: kaidanalenko] [link to this post]

Before anyone can offer any specific ideas we are going to need a postcode at least.

In general terms, the usual explanation for situations like yours is that your address is served by an EO cable (exchange only) ie it isn't routed through a cab.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Apr-17 09:07:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

To add the exchange being enabled is just one small step, they key part is the cabinet that services you having the VDSL2 hardware in it. If you are an exchange only line then that means no cabinet at this time.

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g... will tell you the exchange name and cabinet if there is one, and if any plans what stage they are at.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Thu 13-Apr-17 09:50:26
Print Post

[re: kaidanalenko] [link to this post]

depends where you are but if you can already get virgin why would you expect another operator to deploy its network -- I cant see that area being covered under an programme (wont be under BDUK as aloredy provision made - so only option may be a CFP (community fibre programme) - assuming you a hcomunity that wants t confound it
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Apr-17 10:04:04
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Dammit man! That's confoundedly hard to interpret towards the end wink smile smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User alwall
(member) Thu 13-Apr-17 19:04:02
Print Post

Competition?

BTBroadband
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 14-Apr-17 00:06:22
Print Post

Openreach deployed FTTC in the area where my sister lives which has had cable since before VM took over Telewest, so it does happen.
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Fri 14-Apr-17 02:04:54
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

It does happen, but it makes it much less likely. It rules out BDUK funded projects which means small EOL clusters may never get BT coverage. Big chunks of the country covered by VM have no BT fibre at all.
Standard User kaidanalenko
(newbie) Fri 14-Apr-17 05:23:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The exchange name is Liverpool Simonswood and the cabinet number is 14.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Sun 16-Apr-17 10:10:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
depends where you are but if you can already get virgin why would you expect another operator to deploy its network -- I cant see that area being covered under an programme (wont be under BDUK as aloredy provision made - so only option may be a CFP (community fibre programme) - assuming you a hcomunity that wants t confound it

Low hanging fruit.

VM typically in built up areas. BT cab in same area would allow them to say that that have "passed properties" easier than if they'd have put the cab out in the sticks.

My parents in Swansea had VM fibre years before BT upgraded the local cab.

Regards,

Rob
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to