General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User venomizer2010
(newbie) Fri 14-Apr-17 14:52:19
Print Post

How to order FTTP

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a property that has WBC FTTP (no FTTC available through the phone line from what I understand).

Therefore, it looks like my only options are BT or Zen for a service.

I'm looking at the Infinity 2 package with BT. When I go through to purchase, will their system be aware that the address is FTTP only and push through on that basis? I don't want them trying to enable the connection over the phone line...

Also, I'm not sure if the current owner will be removing the ONT equipment when they vacate (I imagine not, but need to confirm). If they take it with them, will BT re-supply the necessary kit in addition to the router to get set up?

I'm tempted by Plusnet's FTTP trial, but it looks like a semi-convoluted way of getting it set up (order standard broadband through them, which would have to be through the phone line at first - at v. low speeds. Then apply for the FTTP trial at which point I would switch over to the ONT equipment in the property)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 15:00:34
Print Post

Re: How to order FTTP

[re: venomizer2010] [link to this post]

The ONT is Openreach property so should be left in.

It's no use to the current occupants anywhere else as they wouldn't be able to connect it physically.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User venomizer2010
(newbie) Fri 14-Apr-17 15:07:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I think I know the answer already, but here goes:

Do I still have to pay line rental even though I'll be using FTTP? I don't intend to use the copper phone line at all

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Fri 14-Apr-17 16:15:32
Print Post

Yep, standard line rental applies, although I think PlusNet will allow you to cease the phone side I think.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 16:15:48
Print Post

At the moment, yes. Even if it is simply included in the price so you can't tell.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Apr-17 00:11:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by venomizer2010:
I'm tempted by Plusnet's FTTP trial, but it looks like a semi-convoluted way of getting it set up (order standard broadband through them, which would have to be through the phone line at first - at v. low speeds. Then apply for the FTTP trial at which point I would switch over to the ONT equipment in the property)

Well if the previous owner had the phone line moved over to FVA (Fibre Voice Access), you will need to get that moved back to copper first before you can order ASDLx.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Apr-17 07:02:59
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Are you sure Paul ? I would suppose the customer just orders the service from their service provider, it's down to the SP to sort out how it's delivered to their customer.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Apr-17 08:42:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It should be possible in this case if the OP gets hold of one if the forum reps, as FTTP is already installed. Their sales side might, note "might" be able to get their heads round that.

In general it's Plusnet that can't get their act together in ADSLx and FTTP areas. You can't order FTTP from them straight off. You have to take ADSLx then "apply" to go on their FTTP Trial that has been running for a couple of years or so. It took them some head-scratching to handle FTTP-only new builds.

crazy crazy
Pathetic!

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Apr-17 10:18:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You have to take ADSLx then "apply" to go on their FTTP Trial that has been running for a couple of years or so. It took them some head-scratching to handle FTTP-only new builds.
Pathetic!

Indeed, and with these becoming more prevalent you would have imagined being an 'early adopter', and getting staff and systems up to speed on the new products would pay dividends in the long run ......

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Apr-17 17:21:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Are you sure Paul ? I would suppose the customer just orders the service from their service provider, it's down to the SP to sort out how it's delivered to their customer.

Well if there is an active phone line with number that is on FVA, then the checkers will fail to recognize that number in the checkers resulting in the ISP in question failing to see if what they could get.

Which would an to delays.

I know my phone number fails when entering into the dsl checkers due to it now being a FVA line.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to