General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jabes
(member) Mon 17-Apr-17 20:44:37
Print Post

Can you ever not get FTTP/od if your exchange says you can?

[link to this post]

I am thinking of moving house, and the property I am looking at is on the same cabinet as me. It can get FTTP on Demand; however, this property wouldn't be able to get FTTC (too far from the cab).

How is FTTP on Demand deployed? Is it alongside the normal phone line on poles or does it need more extensive work? Is there a risk that I wouldn't be able to get service?

I need fast internet for my business and the costs would be covered (or indeed for a leased line if FTTP/od didn't work and I guess the same probems apply) so it's really trying to understand whether there would be a refusal to supply...

Best wishes
James

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Apr-17 21:28:29
Print Post

Re: Can you ever not get FTTP/od if your exchange says you c

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

If you're too far from the cab for FTTC expect you'll be a considerable distance from the AG node.

The prices for installations over 1500m start to get crazy expensive.

That plus the £300 a month rental...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Apr-17 21:56:30
Print Post

As lee syas. Plus:-

Openreach price list for what they charge providers. Ex Vat of course but I expect that is recoverable. The dark blue lines are the current prices.

So a minimum installation of £750 + £350, and you are clearly way beyond 199 metres from the aggregation point, which tends to be reasonably close to the cabinet. Those aren't fixed prices either, they are minima dependent on survey which could find difficulties and raise the price.

Then you have to add wholesaler and possibly retail costs and profit margins ....

Fluidone are the flavour of the month if you wish to go deeper.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 00:34:57
Print Post

I suggest at you approach FluidOne for a quote, for which you will have to pay.

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 08:41:26
Print Post

Also worth looking at linebroker.co.uk for leased line comparisons. I've heard people mention you can get a 1 gig leased line for as low as £700 per month (with no setup costs) but in my area I was quoted £1300 pm so prices will vary.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 08:55:42
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

If it's going to be a long term home though, fttpod is likely the winner, given you can change to a regular fttp package after 3 years.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 10:05:01
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
If it's going to be a long term home though, fttpod is likely the winner, given you can change to a regular fttp package after 3 years.

That's true, but it all boils down to how much the OP is quoted for construction costs for FTTPoD. If he's quoted ~50k, which isn't unrealistic if he's miles away from the nearest AN, then it might work out cheaper to get a 300/500/1000 mbps leased line now with zero construction/setup costs for 3 years - 3 year deals are often the cheapest at linebroker. At the end of the 3 years he can see if the setup costs of FTTPoD have dropped. I totally agree though, FTTPoD works out cheaper in the long run...providing the construction costs aren't insane.

TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 18-Apr-17 10:06:44)

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 10:10:30
Print Post

Will be considering it myself when the my cab is eventually connected to the power grid!

Expected speeds of 30meg. Just bought this house and planning to be here for 20 years plus, thankfully after the 3 years I'd get my connection for free, providing I'm still with my current employer, so depending on costs it might very well make sense.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Apr-17 10:19:52
Print Post

Bearing in mind that from somewhere the OP has gathered the property is too far from the cabinet for FTTC. That suggests a minimum installation charge of over £5,000. The estimates from the BT Wholesale checker might give us a clue.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 10:29:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It all depends really, the AG node could actually be closer to the customer than the cab, depending on how the network and ducting is in the area.

As the distance calculation from th AG node is done in a radial manor, not as duct length, then it may not be as far a dsitance compared to the route the line takes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to