General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JmJohnson
(newbie) Wed 19-Apr-17 15:56:25
Print Post

Unable to order a WBC FTTP Line

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,
I'm truly at my wits-end now.
I live on a new build estate and was the last house of phase1 built.
They then built 3 houses opposite me and then started building phase 2.
The 3 houses opposite had copper lines installed and my connection went from 37Mb down to 22Mb (it continuously gets slower every few days and my noise margin forever increases).
I've had Openreach onsite 5+ times and everytime it goes back to normal before the DSLAM starts to reduce it again.
One of the houses now reports that they aren't suitable for FTTC.

At the same time Openreach have also installed their new version of WBC FTTP for phase 2 which my new neighbour directly next door is using.

Openreach engineers onsite have said worst case scenario I'd need 7m of moleing to connect to the duct outside their house.

It would solve all my issues but can I get an ISP like BT to manually raise the order for a new line to it ? Nope... they just keep saying my cabinet doesn't support it.
(WBC FTTP uses aggregation nodes and connectors straight to the exchange).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Apr-17 16:36:34
Print Post

Re: Unable to order a WBC FTTP Line

[re: JmJohnson] [link to this post]

Someone has to live on the boundary, so if the quirk of roll out means you are on the edge, then you need to fund a custom network rearrangement, i.e. pay full cost for that 7m of dig.

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Apr-17 16:48:22
Print Post

Second what has already been said, you would need to self fund this. A provider will not be funding it as that is not how new builds work.

With a new build the developer chooses the service they want from openreach.

The developer did not opt for FTTP for your phase, hence ISPs are not offering it. For Phase 2, they have opted in for FTTP, hence ISPs offer it.

The fault here lies with the developer not funding FTTP on your phase.

Regarding speeds that is very common due to crosstalk, and very little can be done. Your line will always go back to the speeds unless the neighbours disconnect their service (unlikely).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 19-Apr-17 16:49:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JmJohnson
(newbie) Wed 19-Apr-17 16:59:41
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Afternoon and thanks for the response.
I'm aware of cross-talk and have generally witnessed drops of 10-20%... however a drop of close to 50% points to something else.

I'm totally aware that I'd have to pay the costs of the 7m duct and don't mind doing so.
I've contact Openreach since posting this via the Network Rearrangement form and hopefully they'll respond to myself... however their general practice is to not deal with residents directly. Which brings me back to how do I order this as ISPs are refusing to place the order for a new line and site survey on my behalf ?

Thanks and regards

Edited by JmJohnson (Wed 19-Apr-17 17:00:42)

Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 19-Apr-17 17:08:01
Print Post

As an alternative if all else fails perhaps you could get a connection installed to your neighbour and just run an ethernet cable between your houses?

Or if he is on 330mb that's more than enough for anyone perhaps you could do that without even getting a new connection and contribute half his costs..
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 19-Apr-17 18:02:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

7m of moleing was mentioned - that is just a couple of hours work plus ducting, or te OP could dig and install BT ducting himself over that distance. Total cost will be quite low which ever way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Wed 19-Apr-17 18:19:55
Print Post

your only option will be FOD and that will be back from the aggregation node

the 7 m information is disinformation at the highest level
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Apr-17 20:11:52
Print Post

As you were advised on the BT forum, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

You were advised to contact the builder. Have you done so?

I still think you have little chance of getting this, but I'd like to see how it pans out.

Failing all else, as suggested above, I'd ask the neighbour to order a second FTTP connection and Ethernet from their house to yours...
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Wed 19-Apr-17 23:04:54
Print Post

There's absolutely nothing you will be able to do here. OpenReach don't just let you mole yourself over a boundary. I have no idea why that is being suggested. ISP's certainly can't order anything like this.

You would need to contact the developer of the site and see what they will agree to with OpenReach.
Standard User JmJohnson
(newbie) Mon 24-Apr-17 11:36:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So... progress... kind of...
BT Openreachs Network Relocation team responded stating that I need a telecoms provider to manually raise a request for a new line requesting for it to be connected to the aggregation node.

Unfortunately BT Retail say they can't specify or request anything other than a new copper line and don't have access to add any other details to the order.
The latter part confuses me as if it was manually raised they'd be able to enter those details in the application.

(I'm still waiting on a response from the developers of our site)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to