General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ncf355
(regular) Thu 20-Apr-17 09:14:53
Print Post

FTTP on the way?

[link to this post]

We've had Openreach at the bottom of our road a few weeks ago, digging and laying pipes

Neighbour asked what they were doing and they said it was for fibre to enable the F.O lines to be pulled through our road (and another adjoining) up to the cabinet

So I'm assuming from this we can expect FTTP, but has anyone got any idea how long it takes to go from them doing the pipework to actually setting up the F.O lines?

(I'm guessing the answer may be 'how long's a piece of string?)

Cheers all

Matt
West UK

Live TBB BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 20-Apr-17 09:44:03
Print Post

Re: FTTP on the way?

[re: ncf355] [link to this post]

Somewhere along the way there could be a "word of mouth" misunderstanding.

For FTTC the fibre goes either to a new cabinet near to the existing phone one, with the two cabinets then getting a copper link to merge phone and VDSL2, or it goes to an All-In-One that replaces the existing cabinet if there is one. The latter happening when the phone lines are fed directly from the exchange with no phone cabinet. (EO lines). The final stretch to the home is still copper in both cases.

For FTTP cabinets are not involved. Only underground aggregation points. (Glorified fibre junction boxes). Then the fibre to the premises may go completely underground or partly underground and partly via ordinary telegraph poles. However, the FTTC cabinets are also fed from aggregation points, and any particular aggregation point can feed both FTTC cabinets and FTTP.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ncf355
(regular) Thu 20-Apr-17 10:27:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS

Glad to see you still here handing out decent info after sooooo many years - its quite a while since I've been on here and you were here then, and the previous times, many years ago

(Thanks in the same vain to Mr Saffron!)

Matt
West UK

Live TBB BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 20-Apr-17 10:47:24
Print Post

I hope for you the misunderstanding was the use of the word "cabinet". Perhaps a loose usage by the Openreach people as they wouldn't be wanting to go into lengthy explanations smile. FTTP is done by cabinet area so ....

Good luck. Let us know what transpires.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 20-Apr-17 10:48:16)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 12:29:19
Print Post

Could be a copper rearrangement, putting the EO lines into an existing PCP that is already fibre enabled for FTTC.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 20-Apr-17 12:32:26
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Could be, but that would be a big misunderstanding by someone in the chain, as the OP says it was reported as being to pull fibre.

Standard User ncf355
(regular) Thu 20-Apr-17 14:02:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Could be a copper rearrangement, putting the EO lines into an existing PCP that is already fibre enabled for FTTC.

Sorry,

What's PCP?

Matt
West UK

Live TBB BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 14:04:52
Print Post

It could be read that way, but the words aren't really clear about what is being pulled: to enable our FO lines to be pulled through to the cabinet.

Could be pulling copper, to enable fibre connectivity.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 20-Apr-17 14:07:35
Print Post

PCP is the phone cabinet. Primary/Principal Connection Point, I forget which.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 14:08:50
Print Post

Primary Connection Point.

The existing green cabinets that BT engineers use to make connection back to the exchange and, nowadays, connect into the colocated FTTC cabinet.

What's an F.O line?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to