General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 20-Apr-17 20:49:28
Print Post

FTTP available but how?

[link to this post]

I'm currently trying to get some broadband connected and have placed multiple orders (with Virgin Media, then Zen and then Sky who messed up and then cancelled the order) for FTTC. The building is quite new and there is CAT5E cabling going from a white BT box to every flat.

The DSL checker says FTTP is available, but how would I actually go about ordering it? I tried Zen, AAISP and BT and they don't seem to offer anything more than 80/20.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Apr-17 21:02:24
Print Post

Re: FTTP available but how?

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Your link just shows FTTPoD , a bespoke, and priced for business product.

But VDSL looks good. Not sure why you've had no luck.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 20-Apr-17 21:37:00
Print Post

As Zarjaz says

You only have FTTC available so a max of 77Mb ( up to 80/20 service)

The FTTP in on demand and can will cost much more. It will be a 36 month contract and a installation price that is quite large.

Are you a business as this is what it is aimed at ?

Any of the FTTC providers can provide an upto 80Mb service you should just have to order.

If you really want FTTPoD the only supplier who seems to be dealing in it is fluidone. Some posters on here have prices and have placed orders but it can be £1500+ installation.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 20-Apr-17 22:12:28
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
As Zarjaz says

You only have FTTC available so a max of 77Mb ( up to 80/20 service)

The FTTP in on demand and can will cost much more. It will be a 36 month contract and a installation price that is quite large.

Are you a business as this is what it is aimed at ?

Any of the FTTC providers can provide an upto 80Mb service you should just have to order.

If you really want FTTPoD the only supplier who seems to be dealing in it is fluidone. Some posters on here have prices and have placed orders but it can be £1500+ installation.

80/20 is too slow and there's no scope for any increase in the future! Also I've been in a place with 60Mbit in one flat, and the one above it only had 40Mbit so YMMV a lot by this technology, so I'd like something better.

Thanks for the explanation, FTTPoD is primarily business only - now I understand what it's all about.

I ordered Zen FTTC (cancelled the line at the old place after moving and now waiting a disgusting three weeks for the BT Openreach engineer, unacceptable when Internet is so essential these days!).

Also ordered Sky shortly after I placed the Zen order in the hopes that they'd send someone out sooner, but they made an order on my virtual landline number and then had to cancel the order and didn't bother to place it again. I will give them a pass this time around.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Apr-17 22:55:54
Print Post

Too slow for what? What do you do on the internet and how many users at home?

Get 2 80/20 connections and load balance them if you need more, it'll be considerably cheaper than FTTPoD.

The descrepancies in speed over neighbours is often down to poor internal wiring and or poor quality equipment.

Trying to place 2 orders with 2 suppliers at the same address simultaneously isn't going to help matters.

What happened with the Zen order?

Edited by lee111s (Fri 21-Apr-17 08:40:07)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(regular) Thu 20-Apr-17 23:02:08
Print Post

Placing multiple orders is not a good idea, it's bound to cause confusion with the different suppliers ordering from BT, presumably on the same telephone line (except for Virgin of course) and what do you mean by your virtual landline number?
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 20-Apr-17 23:03:42
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Too slow for what? What do you do on the internet and how many users at home?

Get 2 80/20 connections and load balance them if you need more, it'll be considerably cheaper than FTTPoD.

The descrepancies in speed over neighbours is often down to poor internal wiring and or poor quality equipment?

Trying to place 2 orders with 2 suppliers at the same address simultaneously isn't going to help matters.

What happened with the Zen order?

Placed the order on 7th for Zen. Then Sky on the 9th, and was going to cancel Zen if Sky got an engineer out sooner, but they called and said they have to cancel the order because the idiot who took the order made a mistake, so now it's just Zen left!

80Mbit is too slow for very large downloads. Steam downloads, for example can be very bandwidth intensive! I realise I'm being a little bit cocky but 80Mbit is considerably behind VM in download speeds.

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 20-Apr-17 23:07:20
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
Placing multiple orders is not a good idea, it's bound to cause confusion with the different suppliers ordering from BT, presumably on the same telephone line (except for Virgin of course) and what do you mean by your virtual landline number?

Zen placed my order as a "restart of a stopped line" order, but Sky just typed in my SkypeIn virtual number as the one they're going to provide a service for, so it's their clerical error and shouldn't have anything to do with how many orders are placed.

Besides can you blame me for trying to get FTTC installed asap? Three weeks to get internet installed is appalling customer service and I am surprised it takes more than a few days, don't care what anyone says.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Apr-17 23:10:37
Print Post

Took me 2 weeks to get FTTC on a new cabinet and I think I was one of the first to order. Then another month to get a defective underground cable replaced with "in spec" cable and its still not finished.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Apr-17 23:24:26
Print Post

Not really, you can download around 30GB/hour on an 80mbps connection - hardly slow.

Whilst Virgin may have a higher headline speed, a lot of people can't get that due to network congestion issues. Virgin's latency can also leave a lot to be desired.

Realistically how often do you do massive downloads that are needed to be done immediately and can't be set to run over night?

Another speed obsessor methinks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to