General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Apr-17 01:56:22
Print Post

Re: FTTP available but how?

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Your sig - IDNet Business Priority Fibre 75/16?

With it linking to a January 2012 speed test result tongue wink.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Apr-17 06:22:51
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

TBF Tim, no one, let alone you, was aware of the duff cable until you were able to order faster speeds. Once identified its resolution has only been slowed by having to get civils done.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:19:20
Print Post

Ordering from 2 different ISPs is unlikely to make any difference as the work is done by OpenReach and so will be booked in to the next available slot for engineers in your area - ISPs are treated equivalently and so one ISP does not have a priority over another for engineer time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 11:09:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The way to beat equivalence is to pay for it...

Getting a repair done depends on the care level that the ISP pays for the line, but I don't know if this has an impact on the initial installation queue.

Last year, Sky dropped their lines from care level 3 to care level 4, adding 24 hours to the repair time. BT went the other way. Don't know about Zen.

However, I recently read that FTTC has a minimum of care level 3, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

IIRC, the standard installation target is 12 working days, possibly changing to 10 in future.

In any case, installation can be expedited. You'll need to pay, and you need an ISP willing to go through the expedite process for you ... low cost ISPs aren't set up for it, while business ISPs might be.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 11:15:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Saltank:
Besides can you blame me for trying to get FTTC installed asap? Three weeks to get internet installed is appalling customer service and I am surprised it takes more than a few days, don't care what anyone says.

The work might not take long. The problem is the other 100,000 people also waiting for the installation to happen.

If you ordered 3 weeks before moving in, you'd be sorted by now...
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:38:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by Saltank:
Besides can you blame me for trying to get FTTC installed asap? Three weeks to get internet installed is appalling customer service and I am surprised it takes more than a few days, don't care what anyone says.

The work might not take long. The problem is the other 100,000 people also waiting for the installation to happen.

If you ordered 3 weeks before moving in, you'd be sorted by now...

Didn't know I'd be moving up until the very last moment.

Also, a neighbour claims he ordered sky three days ago and their engineer is coming on Monday, so I was inherently frustrated as to why they get one so soon. They claim it's for "Sky Fibre" so they must mean FTTC!

I asked the Zen rep if I can expedite it - they said no, we get assigned an engineer once the order is placed.

I don't understand what happened to those days when you could pick a convenient time slow for you, like PlusNet used to do.

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:40:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Your sig - IDNet Business Priority Fibre 75/16?

With it linking to a January 2012 speed test result tongue wink.

Yes I haven't bothered updating it... that was at a business line and my experience at home since has been subpar and nothing to brag about!

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:45:00
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Not really, you can download around 30GB/hour on an 80mbps connection - hardly slow.

Whilst Virgin may have a higher headline speed, a lot of people can't get that due to network congestion issues. Virgin's latency can also leave a lot to be desired.

Realistically how often do you do massive downloads that are needed to be done immediately and can't be set to run over night?

Another speed obsessor methinks.

I used to have 100Mbit in this same area (same street actually) with Virgin Media some time ago, it was pretty good (aside from the throttling). I also sampled 150Mbit for a time in another area until i cancelled due to the congestion issues you mention. However, I don't foresee any issues here as of yet.

Realistically, if I need a massive download, I would like it at 25MB/sec.

Just because FTTC is available at 80/20 doesn't mean it's ok to be complacent and excuses should not be made for these massive telecoms companies that can't be bothered to keep up with implementing the download speeds people really deserve.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:49:31
Print Post

Well, I guess it's a case of you can't always have what you want.

Unless you want to pay circa £17k for 3 years of FTTPoD and get 300mbps for the odd occasion you need to download at 25MB/s.

Edited by lee111s (Fri 21-Apr-17 17:54:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:50:47
Print Post

To expedite the order must be initially placed with the extra expedited fees paid, £150 if I recall, but also think it has been dropped for FTTC.

Install slows are on a first come first served , and some providers do odd things like move the phone and give ADSL for a few days before the Openreach engineer visits the cabinet to flip over the VDSL2 part.

As for the old days, there was a lot less people ordering FTTC and other services and not so much network construction work under way.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to