General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 21-Apr-17 15:18:22
Print Post

VM mis-labeling cable as fibre?

[link to this post]

I was just browsing the VM website and checked what services were available to my house, upto 300Mbps.

I was looking at the package names and they are all named VIVID 100 fibre broadband, just different speeds (100, 200, 200 Gamer, 300).

Are these fibre packages or have they purposefully change the cable word to fibre?

I thought VM sold cable, with some fttp recently. I was surprised they now are listing packages as fibre.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Apr-17 15:23:36
Print Post

Re: VM mis-labeling cable as fibre?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

They have been allowed to call it fibre so far because it is fibre to a nearby point - the same as BT have been allowed to call FTTC fibre. ASA are now looking to change that but at this point Virgin or BT calling it fibre does not necessarily mean FTTP.

Both BT and Virgin have been calling it fibre for a few years now.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 21-Apr-17 15:26:33
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

They've always called it Fibre. They also do not tell you if a property is full FTTP or HFC. The packages for both are the same.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Apr-17 15:29:13
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I don't think VM have "always" called it fibre. I believe they only started doing it when BT started selling "fibre" products.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 21-Apr-17 15:34:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Always was the wrong choice of words. For many years now. It was Virgin who started calling it Fibre, which the ASA allowed, which is why BT now get away with calling FTTC "Fibre". The ASA should have jumped on this on the 1st instance.
  Print Thread

Jump to