General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Sun 23-Apr-17 13:21:23
Print Post

FTTPoD Availability?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I was wondering if there's any information on where FTTPoD will be available? I wasn't sure if there's a list of exchanges that it'll be available on , or if it's just "any exchange with FTTC"?

Our exchange (Lochgoilhead - WSLOD) has recently got it's first cabinet live, but on asking FluidData about FTTPoD, they said it's not available, so I was wondering whether this is likely to be a permanent thing, or if there's a chance that it'll get enabled for FTTPoD at a later date.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Apr-17 13:48:11
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD Availability?

[re: raesene] [link to this post]

FTTC, FTTP and FTTPoD all work by cabinet area. Knowing only the exchange doesn't tell us much. This checker will tell you your cabinet number on the line above the estimates table.

Do not use the pure Postcode option. A postcode area can be part-covered by several cabinets, but your premises will be specifically attached to only one.

It is very rare that an address can have a choice of FTTC or FTTP, and is normal that only an address that can get FTTC can get FTTPoD. Some on an FTTC-enabled cabinet but too far from the fibre one to get FTTC can still theoretically get FTTPoD.

In case you aren't aware, the charge by Openreach to wholesalers/retailers if FTTPoD is a minimum of £1100 installation and £1188 about £100pm rental. That's at up to 199 metres from something called an "aggregation point". It goes up by several hundred installation charge for each further 200 metres. Ending up at many thousands.

All subject to survey and additional costs or refusal, then supplier markup, the cost of the backhaul provision, profit margin on that, and Vat added to arrive at your price.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Sun 23-Apr-17 13:58:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. So the cabinet on that exchange which is closest to our location (but not the one we're currently on, which is still waiting for power before we can be enabled) is cabinet 3 (a random number from the village that connects to that cab. is 01301703203)

It shows as enabled for FTTC, but it doesn't seem to be open for FTTPoD, thus the question about whether that might be a temporary thing or if we're permanently out of luck.

The circumstance you're describing (on an FTTC cabinet but too far to get VDSL services) pretty much describes our situation at the moment, even once our current cab gets sorted, we're not likely to get much from it as we're about 2km away on line length (wonders of living in a rural area and lines going the long way round fields).

On the cost side, definitely aware that it might be a bit prcey, at the moment we're using 3 line bonded ADSL from A&A which is providing 12/1 and costs ~£300/month in rental, so getting 330/30 would be a major step up and still a lot cheaper than a leased line!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Apr-17 14:12:49
Print Post

Openreach FTTPoD price list. Dark purple lines are current, light purple historic.

Take one from the first table, and the appropriate one from the second. Bear in mind the distances are from the nearest aggregation point to you, which will be underground with probably either a two or three-lid chamber.

At up to 2km it looks like a minimum installation charge of £6,875 plus all the wholesale and retail profit margins plus Vat on the total. 2000-2999 metres is anybody's guess.

After three years the rental cost drops to standard FTTP prices.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Sun 23-Apr-17 14:17:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, yeah I was thinking that as the enabled cab. is actually a lot closer in (probably < 500m straight line) we might get away with a lower banding, but even at that level it could be worth it (running an IT business is getting harder with slow speeds, and leased lines are awfully pricey...)

The big problem I have at the moment is finding out if it's even possible to make an order. I don't know if there's any route to find out whether FTTPoD will be available in the future or if it's possible that it's possible now and FluidData just got an incorrect result from their check...

Any pointers on how I could find that out would be much appreciated smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Apr-17 14:24:20
Print Post

Who knows what might happen in the future, if the BT Wholesale checker is not saying available then very unlikely to be available and nothing saying it will be in the future.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Apr-17 14:31:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Can we just check something...

When you use https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g...

Does it come back and say...

"Your area is currently in our plans to be upgraded with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)"

If so, then that is nothing to do with FoD, but will be native GEA-FTTP and if and when its rolled out will be available at the normal retail type pricing e.g. 18 month contract, prices starting around £45/m and speeds of 38 to 330 Mbps.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Apr-17 14:43:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by raesene:
Any pointers on how I could find that out would be much appreciated smile

Keep hassling Fluidone...being a major business ISP they can influence Openreach. Up until January, my area (Inverness) was not FoD enabled. However after constantly pestering Fluidone with leased line & FoD questions, one day Fluidone came back to me with "As a result of our enquiries, Openreach have decided to open up the Inverness area for Fibre On Demand orders". And just like magic, FoD was showing up on the BT/OR checker 24hrs later.

One pre-requisite to get a FTTPoD service is that your exchange where your FTTC cabinet fibre terminates at, must also be able to support FTTP services. Most major/head-end exchanges do also support FTTP but some don't. I imagine this is due to the exchange having the necessary infrastructure already in place to support FTTP/oD services, eg space to put OLTs in, bigger backhaul capacity links (10gb/s instead of 1gb/s links) etc.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Sun 23-Apr-17 14:52:23
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

ahh thanks for that, I didn't know about that pre-req. , which pretty much seals the deal for "no I will not be able to get this" frown

We're a small rural exchange, so I very much doubt it'll get enabled for FTTP, and if that's a pre-req. for FTTPoD to be an option, I think that'll rule it out.

I'm not sure what capacity of backhaul they fitted as part of the FTTC rollout, but I do know they had to bring it 5 miles down the hill over the overhead poles smile
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Apr-17 15:18:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by raesene:
We're a small rural exchange, so I very much doubt it'll get enabled for FTTP, and if that's a pre-req. for FTTPoD to be an option, I think that'll rule it out.
It is likely the FTTx in your exchange area runs back to a larger exchange nearby rather than terminate at your small exchange. In other words, the fibre you describe running 5 miles down the hill is likely not backhaul, but the FTTx itself running back to another exchange.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to