General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JB68
(regular) Tue 25-Apr-17 12:03:19
Print Post

FTTP on Demand?

[link to this post]

Hi,

When I put my details in the dslchecker site:

https://i.imgur.com/BWVtmd4.png

Does that mean I can get 330Mbps? I am not sure, any advice, thanks
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Apr-17 12:13:52
Print Post

Re: FTTP on Demand?

[re: JB68] [link to this post]

You can.

However you'll need to pay a few grand up front in construction costs, plus around £300 a month for 3 years.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Apr-17 12:14:12
Print Post

If you are willing to pay £1000+ install fee and £200+ per month it means they'll extend the fibre from the existing 'cabinet' location all the way to your home.

This is not the same as what most people mean when they talk about WBC-FTTP (also called native FTTP or GEA-FTTP), which is available at sub £100 install and starts at ~£40/m

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Tue 25-Apr-17 17:31:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You probably have this on copy-paste by now, I asked the same thing earlier laugh

What interests me is that no carrier I've seen actually offers this £1k+ install and £200+/month plan. So for example, Zen lists their FTTP as being Native FTTP and FTTP On Demand is only offered through special channels?
Standard User JB68
(regular) Tue 25-Apr-17 17:53:54
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Wow, thats crazy money, I'm happy with the 80/20mbps, thats speed wouldn't benefit me.
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 25-Apr-17 18:00:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by JB68:
Wow, thats crazy money
and the reality is that the wholesale cost is £200/month, current retail cost is typically £300+VAT per month on a 36 month contract.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User MC31
(member) Tue 25-Apr-17 18:01:42
Print Post

Depends on how bad you need it ! If you have a few bods working in a home office it could make good sense.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 25-Apr-17 20:27:40
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

I assume that the increase in questions about FTTPod or G-Fast etc is because people are starting to realise that the common FTTC speeds are now starting to look a bit slow and people want faster speeds.
The more devices that people own, bigger households as kids cant afford to leave home all adds to the demand - I myself have 60 odd devices in my household, even more when people come to visit and Im still stuck on 4mb ADSL on a good day, try and juggle that massive bandwidth (God bless my Synology Routers Traffic management). We are being Fibred this year (at last) and from my investigations im almost certain its going to be native FTTP, quite frankly Ill be upset if its anything less than that. Crikey, I remember when work paid for a ISDN line 64k, that was fast!
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Tue 25-Apr-17 21:32:35
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

I did research for having fibre installed at our offices in central London, Hyperoptic offered installation of 100/100 Mbit for £1000 and £450/month.

We ended up going with a 50Mbit (don't know upload yet) through some MPLS thing (main ISP is in another country and subcontracted to Talk Talk Business) and we had BT Openreach send contractors who mucked up the fibre, then real BT Openreach engineers who had to fix the fibre running into the building then do work on the street because the contractors cut the cables on a node or something laugh

Anyhow, I'm wondering if what they're installing now is in fact, FTT{ on Demand, it is probably costing just as much as the Hyperoptic...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Apr-17 00:15:57
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Leased line or equivalent and dedicated 100 Mbps symmetric of bandwidth guaranteed to the Internet, i.e. no contention which does cost a fair bit of money

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to