General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Wed 26-Apr-17 14:17:43
Print Post

FTTC activation today - socket?

[link to this post]

Zen have said no engineer is needed (to my surprise) ...why did it take three weeks to activate then 😑

They're saying just plug in the modem, but this is what it looks like and I had to improvise with some adapters because the socket is different than the ones I've used before.

Would this actually work?

Edited by Saltank (Wed 26-Apr-17 14:23:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Apr-17 14:36:06
Print Post

Re: FTTC activation today - socket?

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

If the pins are connected correctly then yes.

Most people just simply use a microfilter which gives you a phone socket (filtered) and the DSL socket ready to take the usual RJ11 socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Wed 26-Apr-17 14:44:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. I kind of naturally assumed installing the new faceplate is mandatory for FTTC at this point. Currently waiting for a confirmation email from Zen that it's live smile
90GB used on Three's tethering, don't know how much longer they're going to let this slide tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Apr-17 14:56:12
Print Post

Just plug the router in. The physical work will be done a couple of hours before the notification filters through to Zen in order for them to send the email.
Standard User craski
(member) Wed 26-Apr-17 15:00:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Saltank:
Currently waiting for a confirmation email from Zen that it's live smile
The DSL indicator light on the openreach modem will tell you if its live or not.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Apr-17 15:02:17
Print Post

Wasn't there something like this in the router box? Perhaps one layer below the box itself or in what looked like a rectangular bit of cardboard packaging?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Troll-a-day
Troll-a-day
I suffer from them
Everyday.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Apr-17 15:19:46
Print Post

Was only ever installed when engineer visited to do install.

If it was important for you (and with only a modem attached no point really) then you could have asked for a Managed Install with CP device, which at wholesale is £99+VAT so would have cost you a chunk more cash, the fee for connecting you up at the cabinet is covered by the £49+VAT wholesale price.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/prici...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Wed 26-Apr-17 15:20:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I might have ADSL microfilters lying around from ten years ago.

This modem is the one I brought with me after my move. I wasn't posted a router (I use my own) or a modem. Zen said the same modem from previous connection can be used.

Not at the property now so have to rely on statements from a technophobe who has no idea of what any of this stuff is, but I think it's live if the DSL light is solid or blinking.

Edited by Saltank (Wed 26-Apr-17 15:31:37)

Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Wed 26-Apr-17 15:37:57
Print Post

You won't need a faceplate, but if you wanted one then you can pick one up online for just over £10.

That's what I did when I moved into my new property, takes no more than 30 seconds to install.
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Wed 26-Apr-17 20:19:34
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

DSL light is solid green, but my router won't connect and is complaining the password is wrong. Going to give a call to Zen frown

Edit: They close at 8 so I guess I missed the boat. Ridiculous that tech support isn't available 24/7.

I noticed in my online portal that the username they show is different to the one they sent via email, so now I'm even more confused. Guess will have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by Saltank (Wed 26-Apr-17 20:41:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to