General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fishpan
(learned) Wed 26-Apr-17 23:42:20
Print Post

Plusnet WBC vs Sky LLU

[link to this post]

Hi all.

I've recently posted here about having a BT IP profile of around 66mbps when my sync is 72.5mbps. This is 91% of sync rate and seems to be more and more common to people with "retransmission high" profiles according to someone on Plusnet's forum.

I've seen the new price rises for Plusnet and thinking of using this as an excuse to move to Sky who has an LLU presence at my exchange according to Samknows. My question is, would I see better speeds (assuming same sync rate) with Sky LLU who afaik do not use the BT profiling system?

Also, I've seen that Plusnet use the DLM "Speed" profile whereas Sky use "Standard." Would it be possible for me to change to "Speed" when on Sky Fibre Max? - a question for all the Sky customers out there. With G.INP with 8ms DS interleave, I get 0 ES and it's very stable so makes sense to go for the top profile possible.

Thanks

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 - sync 72200/19999 around 450m
MyDSLWebStats: fishpan
ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 00:21:53
Print Post

Re: Plusnet WBC vs Sky LLU

[re: fishpan] [link to this post]

Never heard of anyone being able to get Sky to place the FTTC order with a preference for the DLM profile applied

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fishpan
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 11:47:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I guess. I would be therefore aiming to get it changed after connection. Only thing I'm not sure about at this stage is whether Sky's using their own profiling instead of the low (91% of sync) BT ip profile will result in a higher speed.

What's the concensus on Actual Throughput (not sync) regarding people that have migrated from a WBC to LLU provider - have they improved/declined or no real effect?

ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Apr-17 15:40:29
Print Post

This 91% is a problem in the Plusnet system that has also been present in the TalkTalk one, though AIUI the TT one has been fixed.

The normal IP Profile on WBC FTTC is 0.9679 x sync on Fast Path or standard interleaving, and 0.9669 x sync on G.INP. It changes immediately the sync changes.

An exception arises if the line is "banded" by the Openreach DLM. The WBC IP Profile goes haywire, as the sync speed BT Wholesale systems see from Openreach appears (from my own radius logs that AAISP provide to customers) to be well below the sync reported by the user's modem, which shows the exact banding cap.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Troll-a-day
Troll-a-day
I suffer from them
Everyday.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 28-Apr-17 02:49:07
Print Post

throughput vs sync speed is about the same in my experience.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User fishpan
(learned) Fri 28-Apr-17 12:23:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input, puts my transition fears at ease somewhat. Are you able to change DLM profile (speed,standard,stable etc.) readily with Sky?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Apr-17 12:27:28
Print Post

A wider question is there any provider that is able to change the DLM profile after a service has gone live on VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fishpan
(regular) Fri 28-Apr-17 12:35:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Sky Fibre Pro customers were given the option to change DLM speed/stability profiles. Would be great if someone on this package could confirm/deny?

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 28-Apr-17 12:52:42
Print Post

It was only available to those on Sky's Broadband Unlimited Pro package and never extended to the fibre packages. The only option Fibre Pro customers had was a static IP address.

That said, with a bit of persuasion and a CS bod that knows what you are talking about it is possible to request a change of DLM profile.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 28-Apr-17 16:40:50
Print Post

Sky did this in the past but last I heard they were no longer willing to request a DLM profile change. Very few ISP's will do this for you.
  Print Thread

Jump to