General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gal12
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 10:35:41
Print Post

FTTH installed; what should it look like?

[link to this post]

Apologies for the vagueness of my descriptions and questions in the following post; asking for a friend who has even less grasp on the technicalities than me, I get piecemeal, infrequent updates from her following any renewed 'engineer' work, so I'm not even sure what the right questions might be! However...

My friend lives in a new-build home and receives FTTH internet from BT. The internet part of this has worked fine for the most part, however she has never been happy with the networking aspect, both wired and wireless. From what I can discern from her, this may be more a matter of expectations than experience, but I can see a logic in her frustrations.

The setup of her home and BT Infinity installation in summary: three BT boxes (a little research suggests that these are the BT ONT, a battery backup and a third mystery box) attached to a wall under the stairs. The BT Hub is connected to the ONT via a short ethernet cable and is similarly stuck under the stairs.

The telephone/data socket on the adjacent wall under the stairs has been the focus of numerous 'engineer' visits, none of which I've been present for. I've only just learned that at some point, this phone and data socket was replaced with a telephone and three-port data socket, with each data port corresponding to a data port in three rooms throughout the house. By happenstance of having an ethernet cable with me today, we could see that the data ports could be made to work (for the first time) by connecting it to the BT Hub.

Is this the (only) way it should work? With the original, one-phone-port-plus-one-data port socket under the stairs, we had hoped/assumed that there would some way of connecting to something other than the BT Hub to allow the distributed data ports to be 'live'. In my head, this would allow the Hub to be moved from under the stairs to the living room, connected via ethernet to the data port behind the TV and other internet-enabled gadgets are in place, and providing a much better place for a wireless signal to be distributed more effectively.

Is the need for the ONT and Hub to be connected dictating that the router needs to stay where it is? Should I just connect the three data ports to the Hub and ask nicely on the forum about alternatives for better distributing network access, e.g. via access points or switches?

Again, I'm sorry that I can't better describe the problem, hopefully replies from better minds will help me to provide clearer information if necessary.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Apr-17 10:39:58
Print Post

Re: FTTH installed; what should it look like?

[re: Gal12] [link to this post]

Ideally need some images of the "data ports". It could be that someone has installed cat5 (or above) network cabling. But your mention of a phone point suggests to me that these could just be phone extensions - but if that was the case then the router shouldn't do anything when plugged in to them as the broadband is not being carried over the phone line but over the separate fibre connection.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 11:29:55
Print Post

As mentioned pictures so that people can be sure about what you are talking about are ideally needed.

The Ethernet cable that connects the WAN port on Home Hub to the Openreach ONT can be up to 100 metres long, and if your data ports are a simple patch panel and wired correctly this should support you connecting the ONT to one port under stairs and then location Home Hub at the corresponding end.

Structured wiring like this is normally NOTHING to do with BT and all to do with the developer and person who installed the cabling.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gal12
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 12:42:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Ideally need some images of the "data ports".

Thanks Ian - I took a few hurried shots in the gloom and mess of the under-stairs cupboard where everything has been installed, hopefully it gives some idea of what's in place:

https://s14.postimg.org/nytg4xj2p/boxes.jpg

https://s21.postimg.org/4pm63aawn/dataportscrop.jpg - a few data ports hidden from view, but they are labelled (and work) as in my diagram:

https://s8.postimg.org/i27fhmm7p/masterportsschema.jpg

The single wall-mounted data ports in three rooms look similar to this one: https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31z...

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The Ethernet cable that connects the WAN port on Home Hub to the Openreach ONT can be up to 100 metres long and if your data ports are a simple patch panel and wired correctly...

Thank you, Andrew; I hadn't appreciated the '100 metre' fact at all - if hiding that cable is feasible then it may be the way to go.

Forgive me, but what is a 'patch panel' and is there a test I can do to identify as such? Perhaps my pictures help in this regard? I'm assuming that the wiring is correct in as much as I verified that each labelled data port worked in the corresponding room.

...connecting the ONT to one port under stairs and then location Home Hub at the corresponding end.

Would this be instead of connecting the ONT to the Hub directly? And assuming I chose to connect it to the 'Lounge' port, would that then disable the other two 'Study' and 'Bedroom' ports?

Structured wiring like this is normally NOTHING to do with BT and all to do with the developer and person who installed the cabling.

Something I'm learning anew with the developer's apparent cluelessness and lack of will to help! Even the data ports themselves are awful and unable to hold the ethernet cable plugs securely...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Apr-17 12:47:59
Print Post

I'm assuming that the wiring is correct in as much as I verified that each labelled data port worked in the corresponding room.

Can you expand on what you did to test this?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:01:08
Print Post

If the ports are wired up as you would expect (a patch panel is usually larger but think you just have 3 patch ports) then the following should work...

1. Ethernet from ONT into socket under stairs and Home Hub with Ethernet cable from socket in corresponding room to the hub - this will let you put the wireless where ever you want but Ethernet in the other two rooms won't do anything.

2. If you want Ethernet in all 3 rooms, leave Home Hub under stairs as it is now and connect LAN 1, 2 & 3 of the HomeHub to three data ports, and then if you plug a PC in at each room it should work. You could then add a wireless access point in the best room, so you'd have wifi from home hub and wireless that you installed.

The key with most modules like you have is that there is no link between each of the ports unless you use some additional electronics to link them together (i.e. a switch) and this is what version 2 does above.

Some RJ45 modular sockets (which is what you have) can be sticky in terms of connector not latching, solutions are repeated insertions to until you get a firm click noise, or trying different cables (RJ45 connectors should be same size but very small variations can cause issues), also some cables that have an intergrated rubber boot may be getting in the way when plugging into the port, sliding the boot out of the way may help.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gal12
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:17:43
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Sure - testing the port in the study as an example;
  • used a short ethernet cable to connect the Hub to the 'Study' data port under the stairs;
  • connected a second ethernet cable from the data port in the study to the port in my laptop;
  • turned off the wireless card in the laptop, browsed a few sites to confirm connection;
  • repeated this with the TV in the study, browsed Netflix, Youtube, confirmed internet connection.

I did the same with the living room port and got the same verifications.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:20:55
Print Post

OK, in which case MrS is spot on with his advice and it does appear you have actual network cabling - these ports have nothing to do with the phone even if they are on the same faceplate.
Standard User Gal12
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:56:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks so much, Andrew. You've confirmed the options that seemed to make sense in my head, but there's always the doubt that I just don't know enough to be sure. And as I mentioned before, our asummptions and expectations of how it 'should' work are likely part of the problem...
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the ports are wired up as you would expect (a patch panel is usually larger but think you just have 3 patch ports)...

This may be the original source of confusion - those three separate data ports are a new-ish thing; I'm sure I recall the original faceplate only having the one data port alongside the telephone port. This led me to imagine that there should have been a way to connect the ONT to that and have all data ports in the house be enabled.

Method 1 is out as my friend works from her study and definitely wants that wired connection at times; similarly, the bedroom is sufficiently far away to benefit from using the wired connection for Netflix and the like.

Method 2 seems like the best solution, more so given the number of old routers lying around that might be repurposed into useful access points (?)

My friend has seemingly taken against RJ45 plugs and started a campaign of vandalism against them - not a single one that I found had the little plastic catch intact. I'll persevere in connecting them again and plan everything else with a lot more confidence now smile
Standard User legume
(experienced) Thu 27-Apr-17 15:08:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gal12:
My friend has seemingly taken against RJ45 plugs and started a campaign of vandalism against them - not a single one that I found had the little plastic catch intact. I'll persevere in connecting them again and plan everything else with a lot more confidence now smile

I've had a fair few like that over the years, a bit of blu-tack on the missing clip side generally tightens them up a bit!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to