General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Mon 01-May-17 00:20:40
Print Post

damaged wiring & no master socket?

[link to this post]

I've just moved house and noticed that my new house has what appears to be the old type of wiring prior to master sockets being installed? It appears to have some sort of mini junction box inside the house.

https://postimg.org/image/hl9i9qz8x/

The wiring also appears to be damaged.

I'm due to have my old fibre broadband moved over from my old address to my new address in the next week. Will it work with the above wiring type?

BT have suggested that because the damage was already there when I moved in that they'll fix it and the lady on the phone said she's 99.9% sure it will be free because it's existing damage. Anyone know for sure?

Even if they fix it, will my fibre work with this wiring?
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-May-17 01:17:56
Print Post

Re: damaged wiring & no master socket?

[re: pebbleheed] [link to this post]

The box in the picture is likely where the external wire (black) finishes and joins to the internal wiring.

Mine comes in to one of those and I can usually sync at about 80/20 without problems. That bit's probably not going to need replacing.

One of the sockets you have inside will be an old style master socket. You'd be far better off with the newer master socket as it has improved broadband performance.

If there is an internal wiring fault and you haven't got a new style master socket which provides a demarcation between BT wiring and your wiring, my understand is that BT will rectify that at no cost.

You might like to ask the ISP you're taking a broadband service from whether they can arrange for a new master socket to be fitted at no cost. If there was an internal wiring issue, the BT engineer would sort it out at the same time.

Good luck!

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-May-17 06:55:53
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

+1

Also why do you think the wiring is damaged ? Just because it's old doesn't necessarily equate to faulty.

I'd agree that a true NTE would be a 'good thing' to have. If you do get an engineer visit have them check inside the pictured junction box, one of that age is often housing a screw terminal connection and crimped would be preferable for broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TygerTyger2010
(learned) Mon 01-May-17 11:18:24
Print Post

When I moved in to my current house the outside wiring which comes in through under the eves, was cut on the outside. They had to run a new wire to the pole. Inside the loft the black BT wiring came to an NTE5 just sitting there on the loft floor, with a plug in extension running through the ceiling to the kitchen. The house had been empty for a few years. BTO fixed all of it for free and ran the NTE to the living room through hallway ceiling and living room wall, to end beside the computer.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Mon 01-May-17 11:55:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Some of the wires looked snapped. The person who lived here was a bit odd. They damaged a lot of the house in currently working on sadly.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 01-May-17 12:05:42
Print Post

If the "snapped" ones are on terminal three that is intentional to prevent noise affecting the broadband. No harm done unless using an antique or extremely shoddy new phone that needs the bell wire and isn't connected through a decent dangly filter.

Only T2 and T5 do anything.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64054/13543Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 01-May-17 12:06:20)

Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 21:51:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The service was connected today but I have no telephone line at all. It's dead.

BT have done a test at their end and confirmed there's a fault. They said they'll be able to fix it before the end of this week which is great news.

What I'm slightly less happy about is that it's going to cost me £129!!

The person I spoke with yesterday said that because I've just bought the house and the damage was there already BT will fix it for free. However the person I spoke with today said as the wiring issue is inside my house I'll have to pay for it.

Bit annoyed being told one thing and then another. And getting charged for damage that I've not done is also frustrating although I can appreciate BT don't want to pay for it either. Just irritating that one person said free and another said not.

I've also renewed my contract with BT when I moved. I'd have thought they'd include a line install with that as currently I don't appear to have the required kit for their service.

Any thoughts anyone?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-May-17 23:07:08
Print Post

If it is pre-master socket you should not pay. You cannot be held liable if the test socket does not work.

Since you have no master, BT need to resolve for free.

I would complain should a charge be raised. This is clearcut, not your charge.
Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 23:38:21
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Is this a policy or rule or something? Is there something I can quote for this as despite being put on hold numerous times on the call the person on the phone refused to drop the fee. He said I'd have to pay for it. He apparently spoke with his manager twice but each time explained I'd be charged for it as the wiring is inside my house.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-May-17 07:53:40
Print Post

It's the engineer who decides if you get charged or not.

If it's external, you won't be charged.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to