General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 02-May-17 16:20:29
Print Post

Left hand, right hand

[link to this post]

Unsurprisingly, things have not gone to plan with the installation of fibre at our property. You may recall the database error that delayed ordering by the best part of two months but that appears insignificant compared to what we're up against now.

It was thought that when BT connected the three properties that are we part of 15 years ago, that they'd dug a trench to the main road and fed the phone lines through this to us, so that installation of fibre would be a matter of pulling the fibre through this trench and Bob's your uncle. It turns out that they'd just buried armoured cable through the field and there is no trench. The poles that were there prior to this have long gone (they'd needed replacing, hence the armoured cable instead).

When our neighbour ordered fibre a few weeks before us, an engineer came out on a recce and realised there was no trench so sent another engineer to come out and discuss the situation with the land owners and because it was BTs decision to get rid of the poles originally that a new trench would be dug instead for fibre to be pulled through. So far so good.

Today (the date originally given for our installation before the lack of trench came to light) an engineer arrives to install our fibre and it is immediately apparent that he knows nothing of the trench issue or any previous visits to our neighbours. He then calls his supervisor who likewise is in the dark but says that OR would only go as far as paying for poles and any trench would be our expense (even though this situation has come about because Openreach (or BT as it was then) cut corners to do an installation on the cheap many years ago.

So it appears that,

a) Openreach (or BT before them) do not keep records or plans as to how properties are served by them
b) currently, the left hand of Openreach does not know what the right hand is doing, otherwise there would have been some sort of stop order or communication between engineers when a common problem is highlighted that effects orders in close geographical proximity. Instead, two engineers who could have been working on other jobs came today to be told what two other engineers had discovered two weeks ago.
c) we're going halves for a 150m trench to be dug. I've got no problem with this as I can't expect OR to spend what might be thousands of pounds in groundwork just to get a couple of line rentals and broadband subscriptions in return. Having spoken to another OR engineer (a friend not working in our area), it is often cheaper for customers in this situation to have the ground work done privately by someone with a digger or tractor. Does anyone have a any rough ideas of cost for this sort of work? Are there any minimum requirements that need to be met to satisfy OR?

Regards,

Rob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-May-17 17:37:41
Print Post

Re: Left hand, right hand

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

The duct specification is laid out at https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/sit...

You would need to know if a chamber needs adding, and the duct and preformed chamber pieces are supplied by Openreach.

So cost is labour plus cost of digger, a quick call to a local builder asking how much to lay 150m of PVC 90mm pipe across what ever the land is, e.g. soft dig, pavement, drive will give you an idea.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-May-17 18:15:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So cost is labour plus cost of digger, a quick call to a local builder asking how much to lay 150m of PVC 90mm pipe across what ever the land is, e.g. soft dig, pavement, drive will give you an idea.

And that those chosen to dig require serious insurances if any of it is on public land.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-May-17 19:24:13
Print Post

BT / Openreach do have a telephone number for answering questions about what you would have to do.

In Kent, Gigaclear used a company called Wingnut to dig trenches and lay ducts and fibres. Wingnut replaced an earlier contractor who did not do a good job of compressing the ground before laying tarmac where trenches were under roads. Wingnut might be interested in the type of work you want done.

Michael Chare
Standard User fiddler
(member) Wed 03-May-17 19:54:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you

Regards,

Rob
Standard User gerarda
(member) Thu 04-May-17 09:23:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by fiddler:
So it appears that,

a) Openreach (or BT before them) do not keep records or plans as to how properties are served by them
b) currently, the left hand of Openreach does not know what the right hand is doing, otherwise there would have been some sort of stop order or communication between engineers when a common problem is highlighted that effects orders in close geographical proximity. Instead, two engineers who could have been working on other jobs came today to be told what two other engineers had discovered two weeks ago.

a) They do but the records are prone to errors which Openreach compound by refusing to accept they are wrong.
b) Unfortunately Openreach have multiple hands, none of which know what the others are doing. Sometimes due to inefficiency, sometimes a deliberate policy,
Standard User MC31
(member) Fri 05-May-17 18:09:06
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I have seen and even been in the trenchers Gigaclear use and they did not use any duct ! Yes the fibre tubing was buried direct in the Ground . What could / will go wrong ? This was in Berks.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-May-17 18:17:51
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

From what I have seen the Gigaclear cables under roads are in trenches, those that cross fields are direct burial.

Michael Chare
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-May-17 07:24:11
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

This was in Berks.

I was in Woolhampton last week and saw their handiwork with trenches crossing to little 'its' under a plastic lid outside the properties.

Were you round that way too MC ?

Standard User MC31
(member) Mon 08-May-17 19:00:57
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
From what I have seen the Gigaclear cables under roads are in trenches, those that cross fields are direct burial.

But are they in duct ? the ones i have seen were not.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to