General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheBr
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 14:37:21
Print Post

New Cab in last week - Says Long line - 600m from Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi All,
After having been on an EO line for years the BT Fibre checker is now telling me im on Cabinet 55 in the Falkirk exchange (FK1) but im on a long line since last week.

This took me by surprise a bit as its been on Exploring Solutions for years before getting changed to "In Scope" only a couple of months back before jumping this week to this.

As the crow flies - which i know is different - im only 600m from the exchange and i get pretty much full speed on ADSL.

Does anyone know why this would suddenly jump as above in the BT fibre checker page and if there is any way to check how long my line actially is?

Edited by TheBr (Wed 03-May-17 14:39:17)

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-May-17 14:55:33
Print Post

Re: New Cab in last week - Says Long line - 600m from Exchan

[re: TheBr] [link to this post]

As it's line plant rearragnement, it's likely that not all of the data around DP locations etc is fully updated across all databases.

Check some properties close to the cabinet, they'll likely report the same.

Is the cabinet accepting orders?
Standard User TheBr
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 15:02:43
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

It says:-

"Superfast Accepting Orders
Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast Fibre however your not able to order just yet.

This MIGHT be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast Speeds. We're actively looking at other options."

I had a look on https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk and it shows my streets and surrounding with the same message - however - streets about 100m away being able to get it.

I couldn't tell you IF they were on an EO line before or not though.

Edited by TheBr (Wed 03-May-17 15:27:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-May-17 15:33:33
Print Post

Pester your provider - they get paid to prod the right people.

Most cases of this sort themselves out in a week or two after going live at a cabinet, beyond that I do a failsafe catch operation for those that ask.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheBr
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 16:07:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The thing is, it says im off cabinet 55 - i can see a cabinet P55 (would that be the same one) and that's basically about 50 - 100m away across the road.

My suspicious hat is also still on as it went from the original Exploring Solutions due to being on an EO line to "In Scope" then straight to "Accepting orders" and that last bit took 2 months at most with no Desin etc in between.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-May-17 16:16:51
Print Post

Some areas have seen EO lines moved to brand new cabinets, but cabinet 55 has existing for at least a couple of years but in small number of cases people have had their EO line rearranged to go via the closest existing cabinet.

Another option give the low volume for these arrangements is a database error introduced with other updates that Openreach is doing.

Rearrangements are not your ususual pattern so would skip many of the intervening stages.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheBr
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 16:25:06
Print Post

Which is why im even more suspicious as IF im off THAT cabinet 55 then i pretty much must NOT be on a long line as its pretty much 100m away if that.

I'll pester my provider and see what they say.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-May-17 16:26:44
Print Post

The 'might long line' is a well known place holder for Openreach are not sure, or something has changed recently.

Standard User TheBr
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 16:27:51
Print Post

Thar be hope! wink
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-May-17 16:34:09
Print Post

If you can access your attenuation on ADSL then it it possible to estimate the line length from you to the exchange via the cabinet.

Then, take the straight line distance for cabinet to exchange and subtract that from the line length estimate. That will give a rough worst case estimate of distance from you to cabinet.

Then based on that you can see if VDSL is possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to