General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Broadbean2
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 12:33:06
Print Post

FTTP - Pole Mounted Fibre Splitters

[link to this post]

Hi, I have a query about the green box pole mounted fibre splitters which are appearing in some post code areas in Ceredigion, West Wales as part of an FTTP deployment under the extended Superfast Cymru project.

A few of these splitters have been mounted on some (but not all) poles in other nearby post code areas. My questions are:
• Are these particular splitters installed as part of the general FTTP infrastructure build out or only when a customer places an order for the technology?
• Are they installed on every pole? If not, what determines which pole they are mounted on?

The reason for asking is that all the poles in my road, stretching for about 2.5 miles, have had coils of fibre optic cables hanging from them for the last 3 months and fixed yellow badges indicating ‘caution – overhead fibre’. However, the fibre splitters are yet to be installed.

There are many other post code areas in Ceredigion in exactly the same position bar a small few that have some pole mounted splitters. All such areas are experiencing extended delays for no apparent reason other than perhaps a lack of manpower resources to finish the task. Anyone else in Ceredigion in the same position?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 13:29:35
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Pole Mounted Fibre Splitters

[re: Broadbean2] [link to this post]

• Are these particular splitters installed as part of the general FTTP infrastructure build out or only when a customer places an order for the technology?

They are installed as part of the general FTTP infrastructure build out.

Additional NOTE, if someone was to order Fibre on Demand in an area where VDSL2 was available from their cabinet, you would also see the same kit deployed.

• Are they installed on every pole? If not, what determines which pole they are mounted on?

No need to, the spacing will depend on the number of premises.

Wales has a lot of native GEA-FTTP in build, so at 2.13% GEA-FTTP now, but might make it to 4% if everything that had a vague plan is completed.

The manpower issue, and sometimes wayleave permissions are the two big issues, and one can only imagine the issue if the roll-out was much bigger than the aim of 80,000 premises.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AdamInTheSticks
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 13:35:23
Print Post

Hi Broadbean2,

Well, I'm in the south of the county (between Synod Inn & Llandysul), but apart from a few locations/villages on that route (e.g. Ffostrasol) that can get FTTC, as far as I can determine, any FTTC/FTTP roll-out seems to be non-existent - maybe the SuperFast Cymru projects around here have now ground to a halt, or have finished?

I've managed to set up a 4G router, which just about gets a signal (we are in a very marginal signal area for 4G), although even that may disappear when all the trees are in full leaf! (I'll have to fiddle around with an external omni-directional LTE 4G antenna a bit later on to see if that will improve things). I combine that with my slow ADSL link via my DrayTek router's Load Balancing functionality. At least that improves my connection a bit.

So - sorry, I can't help your with your enquiries. I hope you do eventually get your FTTP link. My exchange (Rhydlewis) is a Market A 20CN exchange, I'm on a long EO (Exchange-Only) line, and as far as I can tell, we have no further FTTC or FTTP planned in our area. I did enquire about getting a Fixed Wireless connection from BlueWave Internet, but unfortunately can't due to line-of-sight issues to their nearest mast which is near Croeslan (there's a hill in the way!). Where abouts are you?

Kind regards,

Adam.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Broadbean2
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 14:47:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your prompt & very informative response Mr Saffron/Andrew. It is much appreciated.
Standard User Broadbean2
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 14:55:51
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

Hi Adam, thanks for your response.

I have a few suggestions to make to you so will PM you either later this evening or earlier tomorrow morning as I am out for the rest of the day.
Kind regards
Standard User witchunt
(member) Thu 04-May-17 15:48:08
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

One cabinet to go live at Croes-Lan.
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 15:50:44
Print Post

Hi,

No problem - and thank you - I look forward to hearing about your suggestions (I'll check for PM this evening or tomorrow evening, as I'm out myself tomorrow during the day).

Hopefully we'll all get a decent connection - eventually! smile

Kind regards,

Adam.
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 15:54:33
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks Witchunt,

That's interesting news!

Sadly, I'm in Bwlchygroes, the next village between Croeslan & Ffostrasol (in fact a bit outside the village itself), so it won't help in my case - but will be very much welcomed by those in Croeslan.

Kind regards,

Adam.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-May-17 18:50:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Broadbean2:
Hi, I have a query about the green box pole mounted fibre splitters

You are seeing green boxes (or not seeing, as the case may be), but they may not be all splitters. The manufacturer has 4 types that aren't splitter, then 1 splitter, and 1 splitter that is also a combined DP.
https://postimg.io/image/wprd089nt/

The number you should expect to see will depend on the design they have chosen.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 19:16:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/09/g-fast-and-fo...

Has an image showing how it all fits together the hardware shown is largely the underground versions, but on the splitters the difference is simply green metal case versus waterproof plastic one.

If you see one with its door open the pattern of coloured trays tells you if a primary splitter or DP splitter

Primary Splitter feeds a number of DP Splitters which in turn feed a number of manifolds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to