General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xander80
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 19:27:29
Print Post

Fibre provision in new housing development

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Came across this forum and the excellent advice trying to figure out whatís going on with broadband options at a new build property Iím thinking of buying. I'm not having lots of luck with the developer so thought I'd check if anybody here could shed some light on the situation.

When I first looked at this property (a few months ago) I did a quick broadband check at the time and Iím sure it was flagged as VDSL enabled. The sales rep also mentioned the whole site is Ďsuperfast enabledí which I presume meant VDSL.

Iím now at the point of wanting to purchase so Iíve checked again. However it now shows only standard broadband, with a speed range estimate of 5-15 MBs and the Openreach tracker shows as ďexploring solutions.Ē Iím chasing this up with the developer but not getting very far yet. Off the back of advice from this forum I did some more digging and found:

- There has been a new PCP cabinet installed outside the development, with what looks like a FTTC cabinet right next to it. Can see it here on google maps streetview: link
- I think the broadband checkers Iím using are identifying the right location, as cabinet #13 is the ones the checkers return, and 13 is clearly marked on the PCP cabinet.
- Local exchange is enabled.
- Property is 0.4 miles from the cabinet.
- Nearby properties (not part of new development) all seem to be VDSL enabled, albeit they are served from a different cabinet. Iíve checked a number of addresses in the new development and they all come out the same.
- The development has been there for some time (2 years) and is now in its 4th phase.

Iíve checked with the developer but so far nothing yet and Iím at a bit of a loss as to where I can check next. I canít get my head around why a FTTC cabinet would be installed for the development, only for nobody to offer it. Is it possible the databases are out of date as these are new homes? Or was superfast offered but all connections sold out? Or was the sales rep just talking rubbish?

Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 19:44:03
Print Post

Re: Fibre provision in new housing development

[re: xander80] [link to this post]

My guess is you used AL6 9FU as the postcode originally when looking up and cabinet 8 that this postcode was linked to is live, but with the development being built lines on properties appearing will be from cabinet 13

Looks like cabinet is stood, but not live yet, i.e. may be waiting on a power connection (though should be easy as sign has power to it), or the fibre being ran out to it has not happened, or something broke and its waiting to be fixed.

For now can only see ADSL2+ speeds on the estate from actual tests http://tbb.st/1490181818525878955

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User xander80
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 19:57:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Great thank you!

So just to check I'm interpreting this correctly: There's a good chance that this will be provisioned soon pending a fix / powering on, but there's also a chance there's a bigger issue e.g. fibre never got laid to the cabinet. So the timeframe for going live could be anywhere between a month and never?

Cheers,

Xander

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 21:44:58
Print Post

[re: xander80] [link to this post]

Potentially, if the road is very quiet you might be able to hear the cabinet humming (i.e. has power) if you listen at one of the vents.

Gaps of a couple of months is not that unusual, as standing cabinets and doing the roadworks seems to be what Openreach have more people available for. The running the fibre appears more limited staff wise so it can be a long queue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Thu 04-May-17 22:41:08
Print Post

expect to see this cab live and ready for service in the next 3 -4 months at latest -- bearing in mind it has been stood over nearly a Year ag0 !!!!!!
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-May-17 23:14:54
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Is that a silver lock I spy on the google picture on the cabinet?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 68696/18766
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Thu 04-May-17 23:40:27
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

the cab is not live and has never been live yet
Standard User witchunt
(member) Fri 05-May-17 08:16:16
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Is that a silver lock I spy on the google picture on the cabinet?

No.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-May-17 11:10:46
Print Post

In a similar "easy-access" power situation, the "traffic signs" and associated lamp had to be removed, before the FTTC was connected up, leaving a bare pole pointing sky-wards, now for over three years.

Fortunately the "traffic signs" were of lesser importance than the "Give Way" sign in this AL6 9FU example.

One of the removed signs was attached to the similar pole on the other side of the junction - BUT resulting in such traffic being guided away at right-angles to the intended - in to a Dead-End/Cul-de-sac!.

I suspect that the removal had something to do with charging for the electricity used - but as that is apparently on a fixed-agreement arrangement, was there any need for that removal?
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Fri 05-May-17 18:56:26
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

this can have never been live in any shape or form (nor sure its powered either
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to