General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FastInternetPlz
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 10:37:37
Print Post

I don't know anymore :(

[link to this post]

So I got a message from the people who are suppose to be making the FTTC happen and they say that the completion date is end of June, but all I have seen is markings on pavement and grass on where everything is going, no cabinet is in place yet so because we are in May now and June is just round the corner I feel that the end of June is a made up date because it seems unlikely for it to be all complete by then.

I also looked on CodeLook and it says "FTTC doing Field Survey, live due by January 2018" which confuses me because supposedly it was all meant to be done all by this year, so I have no clue what is going on because it seems like lack of communication between the departments who handle it.

Would be great to have FTTC soon rather than later though, also by the markings I have seen it seems really simple for them to set it up as there already is a power source near by. The only hard things is the engineer fitting the electronics and also them pulling or blowing the Fibre to the cab.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-May-17 10:53:54
Print Post

Re: I don't know anymore :(

[re: FastInternetPlz] [link to this post]

While notionally simple, talk to anyone who has worked on utilities for sometime and you discover that there can be surprises once you start digging that cause delays

Another factor is that while standing a cabinet can be done in a single day, co-ordinating to get all the other tasks done is not always simple, e.g. the power feed is something Openreach order and thus timescales somewhat outside their control.

Labour and them being busy elsewhere e.g. if there is a 3 month backlog of existing jobs then inserting a cabinet job into the sequence will cause issues. Weather events, cars demolishing kit can all cause issues to well planned timelines.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-May-17 11:15:00
Print Post

I expect if you look using this checker that will also have 30 June. The people talking to you are probably looking at the same database, though perhaps through a different checker.

Quarter-end dates like that I'm afraid mean nothing more than the cabinet is still scheduled. They always have done. They are very likely to slip by one or more quarters within the last fortnight of the date shown. It seems to be a complete quarterly review.

It's still possible they could reach it for your cabinet, but as MrSaffron says, a lot of non-Openreach resources need co-ordinating and it only needs one step to encounter a problem and the whole plan gets delayed. The Openreach resources moving immediately to the next job and re-scheduled to this one when the problem is cleared. But that re-scheduling tends/seems to be to the end of their schedule at that time, not to the top.

I expect you can rely on it being before that January 2018 date, but that does look to be the planned timespan, with the job currently either still pending or maybe already waiting for the late June review.

Not long before going live a "real" date may appear in the checker I gave above. Then 2-3 days before it that date can disappear completely with no replacement. That nearly always means it is technically live but just waiting for the database of live ones to be updated. (I'm surmising there are at least two databases involved, as the way things happen strongly suggests it).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Sat 06-May-17 12:11:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
While notionally simple, talk to anyone who has worked on utilities for sometime and you discover that there can be surprises once you start digging that cause delays

Another factor is that while standing a cabinet can be done in a single day, co-ordinating to get all the other tasks done is not always simple, e.g. the power feed is something Openreach order and thus timescales somewhat outside their control.

Labour and them being busy elsewhere e.g. if there is a 3 month backlog of existing jobs then inserting a cabinet job into the sequence will cause issues. Weather events, cars demolishing kit can all cause issues to well planned timelines.

I understand there is a lot of work and coordination involved, also that delays can appear but saying that, I looked on this website for local statistics and my area supposedly has 99.3% of it covered with Superfast Broadband, If I could get a hold of my local exchange and see what is happening I would but its impossible unless you work in it. I am not saying I disagree with what you are saying I am just saying that its odd that such a high % is done and I am still waiting on them to do it.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I expect if you look using this checker that will also have 30 June. The people talking to you are probably looking at the same database, though perhaps through a different checker.

Quarter-end dates like that I'm afraid mean nothing more than the cabinet is still scheduled. They always have done. They are very likely to slip by one or more quarters within the last fortnight of the date shown. It seems to be a complete quarterly review.

It's still possible they could reach it for your cabinet, but as MrSaffron says, a lot of non-Openreach resources need co-ordinating and it only needs one step to encounter a problem and the whole plan gets delayed. The Openreach resources moving immediately to the next job and re-scheduled to this one when the problem is cleared. But that re-scheduling tends/seems to be to the end of their schedule at that time, not to the top.

I expect you can rely on it being before that January 2018 date, but that does look to be the planned timespan, with the job currently either still pending or maybe already waiting for the late June review.

Not long before going live a "real" date may appear in the checker I gave above. Then 2-3 days before it that date can disappear completely with no replacement. That nearly always means it is technically live but just waiting for the database of live ones to be updated. (I'm surmising there are at least two databases involved, as the way things happen strongly suggests it).

The website you linked does not state the date of any occurring work to be done yet, Hopefully it will all be sorted soon as I have been in contact with the Local MP, Openreach, The company which work with Openreach to roll out the Fibre and another higher Openreach Employee, So I have done all I can to let them know not to forget us and to be kept up to date on information, atleast they give you way more info than Virgin does as Virgin keep you in the dark and all you have to do with them is wait and if you see them building then you know something is happening.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-May-17 12:21:12
Print Post

If a local area is say a large county such as Surrey, then a high percentage can still mean lots of cabinets missing out, and actually the priority in terms of effect often goes to those areas will well below the 90% figures...there is no big bonus for getting an area to 100% superfast coverage.

Not sure what you mean by 'The company which work with Openreach to roll out the Fibre', there is no JOINT roll-out, any companies doing fibre roll-out 'with' Openreach are just sub-contractors paid to do a job on a day they are told to do it.

Currently you have no local MP, so that won't achieve anything.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-May-17 12:21:58
Print Post

If I could get a hold of my local exchange and see what is happening I would but its impossible unless you work in it.

Even if you could get in, you'd find it empty, except maybe for a lonely jumper runner or an engineer on their lunch break ....

And neither of these would have any more, and possibly a lot less detail.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-May-17 12:28:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Didn't you know there's a list of everything Openreach related in every exchange, specifically pertaining to cabinet roll out dates for the area!
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 06-May-17 12:32:01
Print Post

With a bit of luck you should see some work by early June if not before. May not be completed by then but hopefully will be on the way
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-May-17 12:44:32
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Any news on power for Whitley Bay 63 while you're around? smile
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 16:04:36
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Didn't you know there's a list of everything Openreach related in every exchange, specifically pertaining to cabinet roll out dates for the area!

That's what I thought, because if they didn't have the info it would be all over the place and cause more delays.

In reply to a post by witchunt:
With a bit of luck you should see some work by early June if not before. May not be completed by then but hopefully will be on the way

Hopefully yeah Thankyou for the positive response smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to