General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Authodox
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 10:21:19
Print Post

FTTC accepting orders, but not for me

[link to this post]

So after following the journey of my new cabinet which was installed some months ago, it was only last week (Friday 5th) that a silver lock was installed onto the cabinet - Which was quite exciting as I've read many people saying that soon after, the cabinet will begin accepting orders.

Anyway, I checked the status of the Fibre Journey on the Openreach site yesterday evening and noticed it has finally moved on to Superfast Accepting Orders!! However, it then mentioned that I was unable to order it yet - with a possibility of the length of the line being too long. I then checked the DSL checker site and saw that an FTTP option was now there - where as before, it literally only showed ADSL products.

Does it appear that fibre will in fact not be available to me, even after speaking to Openreach via emails, who have told me a few times that Fibre is being installed and I will be able to order it etc... I'm hoping that it is as simple as some databases not updating correctly!
Standard User Authodox
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 10:24:46
Print Post

Re: FTTC accepting orders, but not for me

[re: Authodox] [link to this post]

DSL Checker results
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-May-17 10:40:52
Print Post

Classic mistake - Fibre on Demand while being FTTP, is the cost you £1000+ to install and £200+ per month for 3 years.

The checker state you have is indicative of the checker in the process of updating records to reflect the new cabinet, i.e. takes a few days to settle down - hence wording on Openreach checker about may be two weeks from going live to being able to order.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 11:12:18
Print Post

Does it show available for any of your neighbours?

If not, it will just take a couple of days for the databases to update as mentioned above.
Standard User Authodox
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 11:59:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply and putting me at ease - Do you think it is worth me keeping an eye on both the Openreach & DSL checkers for any movement?

@Lee - Yeah it appears to be the same for my neighbours too.

Edited by Authodox (Thu 11-May-17 12:00:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-May-17 12:01:28
Print Post

Yes. Judging by the ADSL2+ estimates you gave us I can't see how you can be too far from the cabinet for decent FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-May-17 12:05:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes. Judging by the ADSL2+ estimates you gave us I can't see how you can be too far from the cabinet for decent FTTC.

Their cabinet might be right outside their exchange and they might not be that close to the cabinet.

Resulting in good ADSLx speeds and too far for FTTC.

Plus I have just checked several addresses on all post codes for that cabinet and none can get fibre, so it might be a database error.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 11-May-17 12:28:45)

Standard User Authodox
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 12:06:23
Print Post

Is there anyway from those figures to estimate a fibre speed, when available?

@Paul - The exchange is around 1.4km from the cabinet, and the cabinet is just over 200m from my house. Measurements are in a straight line by the way.

Edited by Authodox (Thu 11-May-17 12:08:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-May-17 12:52:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Authodox:
Is there anyway from those figures to estimate a fibre speed, when available?
No. I was working from the furthest you could be if the cabinet was close to the exchange. As has just been mentioned.
@Paul - The exchange is around 1.4km from the cabinet, and the cabinet is just over 200m from my house. Measurements are in a straight line by the way.
Unless the copper from the phone goes all round the street before getting to you then you should get very good FTTC.

It can take a day or so for the database changes to stabilise after a cab is available at the Openreach level.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-May-17 12:58:11
Print Post

Slight warning...have seen areas where some come online in a day or two, and others take a week or two

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to