General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thesmileyone
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 21:53:20
Print Post

Where do leased lines terminate on other end to your house?

[link to this post]

Do they terminate in FTTC cabinets or elsewhere?

I run a business from home, I only get 4MB/s download but more importantly only 500KB/s upload (bytes).

At the moment I have to host on servers and mess around with ftp etc but the business involves constantly changing things, it would be much more time efficient to host at home - which is where the business is based.

So I am looking into fibre based leased line, ideally I would like 1GBPS duplex for futureproofing + my residential needs as well. I live 700m or so from a cabinet and luckily this cabinet is simply at the top of my road, the current copper cabling comes through ducting at the side of this road (which is marshland and they aren't allowed to build houses on it).

It also appears from BT openreach activity that the PoP is under a manhole cover directly under the house, that is also where it comes up from the ground to a telegraph pole.

I cannot get FTTP(oD) and even if I could why isn't the upload duplex? It is the upload I need!

I don't have a budget. I don't know how it works but I assume the business can pay for it.

I did a quote with andrews or arnold or some hard to remember company like that, only place I could get online quote, I don't want people ringing me / hassling me for it. It came to something like £9k to fit and £300 a month IIRC but that's for 100mbit duplex.

Thanks!

Zen Fibre Unlimited 2
47.3mbit DOWN 9mbit UP 14ms - Speedtest.net
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 13-May-17 22:19:33
Print Post

Re: Where do leased lines terminate on other end to your hou

[re: thesmileyone] [link to this post]

Leased lines by their nature are bespoke and can terminate wherever they are required, but they don't terminate in FTTC cabinets, usually in an exchange (local or distant) or in a 3rd party location typically where they have a POP. The POP isn't in a manhole but an exchange or 3rd party location.
I presume you mean symmetrical not duplex.

Edited by witchunt (Sat 13-May-17 22:22:19)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-May-17 03:28:26
Print Post

Also give linebroker.co.uk a try.

Fluidone FTTP On Demand 330/30...well almost smile
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-May-17 09:33:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by thesmileyone:
At the moment I have to host on servers and mess around with ftp etc but the business involves constantly changing things, it would be much more time efficient to host at home - which is where the business is based.
It might make sense for you but it does not make sense from a networking point of view. Hosting services should be near the core of the network, not out at the edges.

I can appreciate that you currently have a slow connection but paying for something fat enough to allow for commercial hosting does not sound like a good idea to me. In your position I would pay enough to get a reasonable connection (20Mb/s in each direction would be enough, honestly) and continue hosting where you do now. These days hosting is easy to do - just rent some time on AWS or Azure. Let them deal with the tricky stuff and you just administrate from home.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 10:00:45
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I have to agree with Andrue. It makes far more sense from the standpoint of network robustness and end-user experience to host services in a data centre (which might mean cloud hosting or some other solution), then install the minimum acceptable bandwidth to the business location. Hosting as much as possible in a central location is likely to be cheaper too.

The OP's idea of having 1Gbit/s symmetric to your house is wonderful, but could easily lead to ongoing bills of over £10k per year (the amount depends on many things, including the location - in the competitive central London market you will pay less than in a rural location). You've got to have a very firm usage case to be spending that sort of money. I struggle to see how any home based business can make effective use of uncontended 1Gbit/s symmetric bandwidth - even a creative professional making heavy use of 4K video clips is going to use only a fraction of the capacity of such a line (at least averaged over a working day) and unless the content was very time sensitive, such as current affairs, could likely be downloaded and uploaded over several hours whilst the professional gets on with other work. Moreover, fibre installed as a leased line cannot be converted into a low cost FTTP installation at a later date, unlike FTTPoD which can be turned into an ordinary FTTP product after 3 years.

It would be possible to have a bearer capable of 1Gbit/s symmetric installed, but only have part of that capacity made available for use, which would be cheaper and allow for easy future upgrades. Even so, it's unlikely to be cost effective. If upload bandwidth is the aim, the likes of AAISP might be able to bond a few FTTC circuits together for a lower cost solution to the business needs.

Without some idea of the OP's usage case, it's difficult to suggest possible solutions.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 13:48:02
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I'd agree too. I have plenty of speed, but I wouldn't choose to host things at home.

The OP complains about making constant changes, and needing to manually FTP. We don't know the full use case, but I suspect that there's a case to investigate automation, and make use of some continuous integration/deployment tools.

But I'm confused over one point.... the OP's signature reports speeds of 47/9, not 4/0.5.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 14-May-17 14:47:09
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
But I'm confused over one point.... the OP's signature reports speeds of 47/9, not 4/0.5.

So is the OP ! He appears not to know that data rates are measured in bits per second and gives his in bytes! He is probably on something above 32/4 Mbps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-May-17 16:13:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

See the OP's sig. Makes his speedtest speeds look very dodgy if both are sets of readings are correct.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 14-May-17 16:14:54)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 16:32:14
Print Post

Confused indeed, especially since the OP appears to want a GBps connection rather than a Gbps connection. Now I wonder what that would cost!
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 15-May-17 08:18:06
Print Post

Just to add, the problem with hosting at home is you need to build in redundancy which means running at least 2 mirrored servers and have some sort of off-site backup set up. Then on top of that you need some sort of disaster recovery plan in place with backup servers. office space, etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to