General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joego
(newbie) Tue 16-May-17 11:36:31
Print Post

Two way Traffic

[link to this post]

I am currently a Virgin media customer with VIvid 200 service 200Mb down and 12Mb up. My question is why the disparity? I also have a house in southern Spain and have a contract with Telefonica Movistar that gives me a service of 50Mb down 50Mb up with FTTP plus 2 mobile lines with 550 minutes talk time per month, unlimited SMS plus 20 Gig data and free national landline calls all times.

Qué incluye?

Fibra Óptica 50Mb (sujeto a cobertura)
Llamadas ilimitadas a fijos + 550 min/mes a móviles
Asistencia técnica
Router wifi gratis
OPCIÓN FIBRA ÓPTICA SIMÉTRICA 50Mb de bajada/50Mb de subida

This cost €14.90 for 12 months + €17.40 line rental

Here I pay £45 per month including line rental no mobile included and only national call weekend and Its only FTTC

OK the down speed is much faster, but the upload is pathetic in this day and age. I like to use my cloud for large file storage so upload is important to me and I am sure I not alone. Anybody have an opinion as to why the upload speed in the UK is so downgraded when it come to the ISP's? Surly its time for the two movements down and up to be equal in service!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-May-17 12:39:56
Print Post

Re: Two way Traffic

[re: joego] [link to this post]

Different technologies FTTP can be delivered with symmetric easily enough.

Cable DOCSIS 3.0 favours the downstream as a hangover from the design days as a broadcast medium.

VDSL2 is less unbalanced at around 4:1 and Gfast is bringing 50 Mbps uploads but very limited availability.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-May-17 13:01:05
Print Post

Re: Two way Traffic

[re: joego] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joego:
Surly its time for the two movements down and up to be equal in service!

Everyone has different demands for their line. Making it symmetric would work for you, but not others.

The data that BT publish about how much their NGA customers consume each month (on FTTC and FTTP) suggests it averages at a ratio of 7:1 downstream to upstream.

Getting the balance right can be tricky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to