General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User space1471
(newbie) Fri 19-May-17 10:28:16
Print Post

Any way to know if new Cabinet will bring me Fibre?

[link to this post]

So since moving last January and losing Fibre frown I have been checning where and when. I am on Cabinet 6 in Brixham TQ59JZ which has been showing as field survey for over a year.
Codelook is reporting Filed survey live by Jan2018 but this seems to have also not changed in ages.

In the past few weeks Openreach have been installing a new Fibre cabinet at the end of our road in the middle of the only remaining non fibre area, Does this mean that Cab 6 is scheduled to be upgraded? or are they just expanding a different cabinet and rubbing salt into our wound by locating it 100m from my house.

Anyone who can find out or tell me how I could get info from Openreach?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 19-May-17 10:39:08
Print Post

Re: Any way to know if new Cabinet will bring me Fibre?

[re: space1471] [link to this post]

Not a perfect way, but can you measure or estimate how far the fibre cabinet is from your existing Cab6? And how far it is from any other BT PCPs (cabs) locally.

BT tries to put the fibre cab as close as possible to the PCP however it can be up to 100m distant for various reasons. It will never be more than 100m So, if the fibre cab is close to PCP 6 and more than 100m from all other cabinets then there is a very high probability that it is there to work with PCP6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User space1471
(newbie) Fri 19-May-17 11:15:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It is 200m from the nearest Fibre cabinet and 200m from cab6. Distance to me 75m

Closer inspection reveals a small paper sticker cab7b frown

What are the chances they would be moving users to different cabinet? Cab 7 has users spread out past our road.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 19-May-17 11:19:59
Print Post

How far from Cab 7?

200m to Cab6 is way too far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 19-May-17 12:06:20
Print Post

Does it say cab 7b or CCC7b?
Standard User space1471
(newbie) Sun 21-May-17 02:03:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
How far from Cab 7?

200m to Cab6 is way too far.

its smack bang between 7 and 6 so 200m to both. I'll check wording on sticker again later
Standard User space1471
(newbie) Tue 23-May-17 08:49:50
Print Post

smile smile smile So I went to check the sticker and its gone.
The cabinet has now been stencilled with 6 on all panels smile

And today I received an answer from my webform request for info.

"In response to your query below, yes, I have checked this address and found that your property is connected to cabinet 6 and from the exchange BRIXHAM.

This cabinet is being upgraded for fibre broadband and it is still in progress. This is an FTTC ( fibre to the cabinet) project.

The estimated date of completion of this cabinet is mid of August 2017 which may change in future depends on the physical amount of work left.

However we are hoping that this will be the date that you can order as long as all goes according to plan."
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-May-17 22:35:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by space1471:
smile smile smile So I went to check the sticker and its gone.
The cabinet has now been stencilled with 6 on all panels smile

Strange ... FTTC cabinets don't normally get numbered ... any numbering goes on the PCP.

However, given that it is over 200m away from the original cab 6, which ought to be impossible, I wonder is something else is going on.

It could turn out that there's some copper re-arrangement going on here, and that an AIO (all in one) cabinet has been put in place. That would, I guess, get numbered as it has both PCP and FTTC cabinets in one.

Can you confirm what the cabinet looks like, by comparing to these:
http://www.robertos.me.uk./html/street_cabinets_etc....
or
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

(RobertoS ... time for an AIO picture!)

In reply to a post by space1471:
The estimated date of completion of this cabinet is mid of August 2017 which may change in future depends on the physical amount of work left.

I was going to comment that this was rather late for BT to still be installing CDS cabinets ... but it turns out cab 6 is a commercial one. Now CDS phase 1 is finished, BT must be going back and completing the missing commercial cabs.

That would also go against what I suggested earlier ... copper rearrangement doesn't happen on commercial cabs.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-May-17 22:42:25
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
(RobertoS ... time for an AIO picture!)
Yes. Time for lots of updates throughout my site frown.

It has got neglected in favour of other things, not helped by the fact the pirating prevention in the site building software refuses to let me transfer to my current machine. Allied to the fact I am trying to change to another software.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User space1471
(newbie) Wed 24-May-17 01:44:05
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

So it looks like this is a PCP, Modern style double door, no vents and placed directly behind 2 BT access covers.
Picture

so some street view checks later and its an upgrade.

Codelook has Cab 6 on horsepool street and a cabinet can be seen in streetview on the corner I had always taken this as Cab 6.
The new Cab is 2 doors up from the Skipper Pub on drew street which now I check on street map did have an old single cabinet I just hadn't noticed....

Edited by space1471 (Wed 24-May-17 02:04:15)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to