General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User worMatty
(newbie) Tue 30-May-17 19:23:36
Print Post

Transition period from Sky ADSL2+ to TalkTalk FTTC

[link to this post]

Greetings.

I currently have an ADSL2+ service from Sky, and line rental plus a calls package with TalkTalk. Yesterday I added fibre broadband to my TalkTalk package and have received an installation date of the 14th of June.

My monthly Sky broadband subscription is set to renew on the 2nd of June. My question is this:

Can I use Sky Broadband up until the point when TalkTalk fibre is enabled without issue? I would cancel my Sky subscription then, but am concerned that both services could interfere with each other. Would Sky's ADSL2+ service be cut off from my line as the engineer switches me over to FTTC, and TalkTalk's VDSL service comes into play?

Should I cancel my Sky broadband subscription and go two weeks without broadband access? Or ask Sky if it's possible to discontinue my service on a specific day?

When I spoke with a TalkTalk advisor via live chat, she told me I would need to cancel my subscription with Sky, and made no mention of an automatic migration. Does that sound right? I've been unable to find any information about situations where someone is migrating services as well as ISPs.

Thanks for any help you folks are able to give.

Matt

Edited by worMatty (Tue 30-May-17 19:29:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-May-17 19:33:06
Print Post

Re: Transition period from Sky ADSL2+ to TalkTalk FTTC

[re: worMatty] [link to this post]

The ADSL2+ service will be cut off once the fibre (VDSL2/FTTC) service is activated.

Sky should be warned you are moving (called migrating) and you should get a letter/email within a few days of the order with TalkTalk.

DO NOT under any circumstances contact Sky talking about discontinuing service, as they may issue a cease order which has the potential to cause problems.

Your scenario is a little unusual in that normally you cannot have TalkTalk phone line rental with a Sky ADSL2+ product, i.e. means you are a rare shared LLU customer, and this may confuse TalkTalk and/or Sky as its rare.

Let things happen, and then if providers get it wrong its their fault and not yours. Once the fibre service is live if you have heard nothing from Sky contact them, tell them you migrated your broadband service and you want to generate your final bill.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User worMatty
(newbie) Tue 30-May-17 20:04:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, Andrew.

I was a Be customer who was moved to Sky when they took over from O2.

I'll update the thread with the outcome.

Matt

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-May-17 21:11:39
Print Post

As MrSaffron says, plus a question.

Normally at the end of a contracted period the service continues on an "out of contract" basis. (Which in itself is a misnomer, it means "monthly contract").

If you are on some sort of deal and it is the period of that which expires on 2 June, what should happen is you are charged from them till 14 June at their full non-deal price. That is probably visible on the Sky website on currently advertised prices as £x per month for 12 months or whatever, and in very small print under it or a popup if you rest the cursor on it saying "then £y per month".

For instance at the moment they are showing £18.99pm for 12 months, with above and to the left £28.99 with a line through it. To me that says month 13 and onwards would be £28.99 unless the customer requested a retention deal to stay.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User worMatty
(newbie) Wed 05-Jul-17 15:24:36
Print Post

Hello, all.

Unfortunately TalkTalk haven't been able to migrate my broadband service. It seems they can't do it unless they take over my line completely, and they say it will necessitate changing the telephone number, which my dad is unwilling to do. So we remain on Sky ADSL.

Here's a timeline of events:
- We raised an order with TalkTalk to add fibre to our line rental.
- TalkTalk cancel the order without explanation.
- We raise the order again with them over the phone.
- We receive a letter from Sky with the migration date.
- We receive a letter from Sky with the new migration date from the second order.
- TalkTalk move the Go Live date up by three weeks without telling us. A TalkTalk customer services rep says the new date on the order tracking page must be an error and our router has definitely been despatched.
- We call Sky to ask if the cancellation date has been changed to match the new Go Live date. They say the migration date is still showing as the old date and they can't do anything about it as TalkTalk initiated the migration so it looks like we will have three weeks without internet access.
- The TalkTalk router never turns up.
- Come the original Go Live date, we have no internet access so it appears that Sky have cut us off as planned. It later turns out to be a 24 hour interruption to Sky services in Cheshire and North Wales and just a coincidence. Internet access with Sky is restored the following day, so it seems they didn't cut us off. I haven't spoken with them yet but it seems TalkTalk changed the migration date or removed it.
- TalkTalk's router arrives a few days before the Go Live date. Everything looks to be going well. We should get VDSL in a few days!
- TalkTalk cancel our order with no explanation! frown
- A returns bag arrives for our new TalkTalk router.
- TalkTalk call us to say they will investigate why the orders are being cancelled. I tell them we're a shared LLU customer. TalkTalk rep understands this and says they will call again Wednesday.
- TalkTalk call today (Wednesday) to say they can't provide us with fibre broadband.

This whole process has taken just over one month. To be fair to TalkTalk, their customer services reps have been helpful and understanding whenever we've called. The best progress was made when we spoke to someone in the complaints department when the Go Live date was moved without notice. The rep credited our account with one month's subscription cost. I think their order process is to blame because it takes the order and then cancels without explanation at the first sign of trouble, but doesn't provide details of the problem to their customer advisors.

Our options seem to be:
- Have the line transferred fully to TalkTalk somehow, changing the number and possibly incurring service interruption and additional charges.
- Find an alternative ISP who can provide VDSL to a shared LLU customer. AAISP seem to be able to do this. Their customer services rep told me it should be possible as my line is showing as being on BT Wholesale's network.
- Stick with ADSL2+.

I'd love to go with AAISP but for the amount of data we use I expect the monthly charge to be £45, so it's a bit steep. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Matt

Edited by worMatty (Wed 05-Jul-17 15:34:32)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jul-17 16:07:32
Print Post

But in your first post you say you already have line rental and call package with TT... So I can't understand why they would need take over their OWN phone line?

Get in touch with their CEO office or via their twitter channel, either of them should be able to get to the bottom of this, with suitable compo offered if TT are at fault.

ceoexec@talktalkplc.com

https://twitter.com/talktalk

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 05-Jul-17 16:08:53)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jul-17 16:24:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by worMatty:
Find an alternative ISP who can provide VDSL to a shared LLU customer. AAISP seem to be able to do this. Their customer services rep told me it should be possible as my line is showing as being on BT Wholesale's network.

Examples: Plusnet can provide fibre "broadband only" on a BT based line if you want to stick with the current line rental provider or I believe alternatively Uno can do TTB (TalkTalk Business) fibre "broadband only" also on a BT line.

Personally I always think it best to keep the line rental BT based rather than have a full LLU service which TalkTalk seem to be insisting on. The downside is that partial LLU can be more expensive than line rental and broadband bundles but of course one does have the option of having the BT based line rental on a one month minimum term.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Wed 05-Jul-17 22:05:05
Print Post

Sounds very wrong to me. Why would you need to change number, it's already Talktalk's number.
They're ordering system may not be able to cope with what you want, and you may need to cancel the Sky ADSL 1st, then add fibre to the Talktalk account.

Talktalk no longer offer landlines without a broadband service, and haven't for a while now. I would take the advise above and try their CEO/Head Office. There will be a way for them to manually place the order you just need to be put through to the right person.
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Wed 05-Jul-17 22:24:23
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

If my experience is anything to go by (trying to leave TalkTalk and them cocking it up multiple times), the CEO's office will be just as useless as the Indian support.
  Print Thread

Jump to