General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mrdini
(newbie) Wed 31-May-17 22:53:48
Print Post

FTTC install - no engineer visit & master socket

[link to this post]

Not sure if this belongs in the Zen forum seeing as it's more a general FTTC query but...

So I've recently ordered Zen for my new place. Having had FTTC before, I was a little surprised when Zen said an engineer visit wasn't needed this time. Looking into it, I see that this is now A Thing nowadays.

Although I'm not sure what sort of master socket I've got (I need to have a proper look), I'm fairly sure it's an old-style one where microfilters will be needed.

So my question is - is it worth considering swapping the faceplate of the master socket out for a NTE5 to get better speeds? I see that microfilters can slow down the line which I'm not especially keen on. Apologies if this is a common question, but strangely enough, can't find very many posts from people in the same situation...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 31-May-17 23:05:39
Print Post

Re: FTTC install - no engineer visit & master socket

[re: Mrdini] [link to this post]

Zen support for retail customers has become rubbish. See this thread for the latest example.

Both there and to you they are saying it's our problem, not theirs.

You should have been offered an "engineer install" if you asked them about your doubts over the master socket. It costs them more, so they don't tell you it still exists.

To be fair, the same applies to almost all ISPs. But Zen claim to be better than Sky, BT, TalkTalk, Plusnet etc.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Mrdini
(newbie) Wed 31-May-17 23:13:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, to be fair, I haven't had a proper search for the master socket... also it was only just now that I realised this was how FTTC installs were being done nowadays.

£120 sounds like a lot! I think I will wait until I've had a chance to check what I've got, and fingers crossed, only a new faceplate will be needed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 31-May-17 23:29:25
Print Post

You need to find the master and upload a photo somewhere. We don't really know what you/we are dealing with, so can't advise on your best course of action.

It is true that self-install (with a supplied microfilter if you take the ISP's router) is now the norm. But if you look at the FTTC estimates for your line with this checker a self-install is likely to give the "Impacted" speeds rather than the "Clean" range.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Mrdini
(newbie) Sun 04-Jun-17 00:25:54
Print Post

Ok, I'm not sure what I DO have... frown

The phone socket nearest door, which I would have suspected was the master socket is not even wired up(!). It sort of matches what I read in http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephon...

Anyway, without further ado - http://imgur.com/a/uYB88

Any ideas what sort of setup I have?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 04-Jun-17 07:10:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mrdini:
Ok, I'm not sure what I DO have... frown

The phone socket nearest door, which I would have suspected was the master socket is not even wired up(!). It sort of matches what I read in http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephon...

Anyway, without further ado - http://imgur.com/a/uYB88

Any ideas what sort of setup I have?

A total mess that will be full of issues.

I cannot see the wires in the first back box too clearly but would guess that there is an incoming line that is twisted to two sets of wires that go to te other sockets.

Two masters on a line - NEVER should be installed. The second has CW1308 phone wire, as for the third picture - no idea what that is wired with.

Somewhere in the first picture, is there an incoming wire? and if so what colours are used.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Jun-17 08:57:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Agreed, I reckon the feed is in the top back box somewhere.

It looks like a right dogs dinner ......

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 04-Jun-17 10:43:06
Print Post

Of those three masters, only the last is a BT unit and even that has been attacked and the surge suppressor removed (latest instals are now done without it). That LJ2 probably dates from the early 90's.

First thing to do is decide where you need wired handsets. Then decide how to get BT to come and regularise the installation.

Can you check to see if you have a "hitching post" outside your front door? As whoever did that install probably used one for his horse.

M H C

Standard User Mrdini
(newbie) Sun 04-Jun-17 11:46:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've updated the Imgur album with a more close-up look - I believe the white pipe is where the line enters the property...

I'm not sure what I'd be looking for in terms of a "hitching post"!

The thing is because I'm deaf, I'm not really bothered about sorting this out for telephony - all I'd want to do is sort this out for decent FTTC.

For what it's worth, here are the stats from the Fritz!Box...
Current throughput kbit/s 47330 9045

BT address checker...
VDSL Range A (Clean) 78 59 20 17.5 52.3 Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 64.1 39.8 20 9.4 32.2 Available -- -- -- --

Is it worth going back to Zen & saying "I'd like an engineer visit please" or is this outside the work covered by a typical engineer visit?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 04-Jun-17 11:59:56
Print Post

Hitching Post - where Cowboys ties up their horses! Because one certainly visited when that work was done.

If that is the incoming, then you can get a master installed at that point with a filter and both voice and data split there.

The white cable with Blue/White and White Blue wires (and others) can be used if required to feed an extension socket for voice and if required data at the location of image 2.

What is really needed is "regularisation" of the master - it is chargeable and must be done by a BT Tech - no one else is permitted to do it.

Your speeds certainly show that the wiring is having a nasty effect on the line capabilities.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to