General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sparkymark75
(newbie) Sun 04-Jun-17 21:18:56
Print Post

FTTP Rollout for new build

[link to this post]

Is there any way for me to find out what the plans in my (soon to be) street are for FTTP?

It's a new build development. When I check on the OpenReach site, the houses up to number 40 all state that they are "In scope" (which according to the blurb means they are in the plans to get FTTP). The house I'm moving into is number 76 and is listed as only being able to get ADSL (at a massive 1-2Mbps!). Surely they wouldn't roll out FTTP to one half of the street and not the rest?

I tried asking OpenReach via their website but all they said was..

"In response to your query regarding fibre broadband, we would request you to provide us a working telephone number. However, if you donít have a working line then you need to contact your service provider and place an order for PSTN line."

I wasn't planning to have home phone (I know I need a line for ADSL). I'm assuming a new build will have a BT line fitted? Not sure what my options are? Just get [censored] ADSL for now and hope FTTP (or FTTC) arrives soon?
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Jun-17 21:47:44
Print Post

Re: FTTP Rollout for new build

[re: sparkymark75] [link to this post]

Speak to the developer and ask what they've asked Openreach to provide to the estate.

If the first bunch of houses on the estate are FTTP enabled, yours will be to.

Openreach wouldn't provide fibre infrastructure then all of a sudden change to copper half way down a street.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Sun 04-Jun-17 22:24:34
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

depends if it split developer / consortium if no 1 -40 were developer A (who asked for Fibre) and no 41 - 91 is developer B (who asked for copper) then that is what you have described is potentially feasisble especially if A & B approached openreach individually

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Jun-17 23:07:47
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

True, but unlikely..
(newbie) Sun 04-Jun-17 23:20:37
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
depends if it split developer / consortium if no 1 -40 were developer A (who asked for Fibre) and no 41 - 91 is developer B (who asked for copper) then that is what you have described is potentially feasisble especially if A & B approached openreach individually

Thinking about it, that could very well be the scenario. The houses at the bottom of the street were built a couple of years ago by another developer. Looking at my local authority planning site, the same developer sold the rest of the site to another developer who is now building the rest of the houses.

I don't know why in this day and age its not a requirement of planning to ask for developers to include provision for fibre. Surely it would make sense while the road hasn't even been laid yet.

When I asked the sales office for the development, I was just told they had asked about it and it was coming but they didn't have a timescale.

Edited by sparkymark75 (Sun 04-Jun-17 23:22:04)

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 05-Jun-17 09:24:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by sparkymark75:
I don't know why in this day and age its not a requirement of planning to ask for developers to include provision for fibre. Surely it would make sense while the road hasn't even been laid yet.

The issue is that people keep believing developer lies and buying rabbit hutch new builds that they throw up.

Why do developers sell houses without the freehold? Because people will buy them. Why do they sell houses without having the roads adopted? Because people will buy them despite massive estate charges. Why do they sell houses without adequate broadband? Because people will buy them and blame BT.

If people would buy houses without electricity, they would be selling them.

The solution is for the public to vote with their wallets.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Jun-17 09:40:44
Print Post

In Scope can mean VDSL2 too, so unless if actually explicitly says FTTP then most likely FTTP

If the house is build and standing and others are in properties built at the same time and they don't have FTTP then likely to not have it, i.e. for new build it is usually rolled out at the time of them being built, i.e. its simpler and is a mixture of developer doing stuff and Openreach doing stuff.

Developers are key are on new build as code powers do not apply as they are private land, and this applies to all operators.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 05-Jun-17 09:46:37
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
In reply to a post by sparkymark75:

The issue is that people keep believing developer lies and buying rabbit hutch new builds that they throw up.

Why do developers sell houses without the freehold? Because people will buy them.

The solution is for the public to vote with their wallets.

As I'm based in Scotland, thankfully there's no leasehold.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In Scope can mean VDSL2 too, so unless if actually explicitly says FTTP then most likely FTTP

If the house is build and standing and others are in properties built at the same time and they don't have FTTP then likely to not have it, i.e. for new build it is usually rolled out at the time of them being built, i.e. its simpler and is a mixture of developer doing stuff and Openreach doing stuff.

Developers are key are on new build as code powers do not apply as they are private land, and this applies to all operators.

It definitely states FTTP.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 05-Jun-17 10:00:50
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

The answer lies in research before buying but at least the new-build I bought isn't a rabbit hutch and is freehold. The local council is also in the process of adopting the road as well after an apparent legal hiccup was resolved by the developer.

The only thing that research can't protect you from is an inaccurate Openreach database which even now still says I can get between 42 and 20 Mbps with guaranteed minimum of 28 Mbps when the reality is only 14 Mbps at best.
(newbie) Tue 17-Oct-17 11:58:52
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

So I've been in since near the end of June. I've been "enjoying" the delights of 2Mb ADSL (and my kids complaining).

A couple of weeks ago, 4 Openreach vans appeared in my street. I wasn't at home but my daughter sent me a pic. I just assumed they were maybe installing phone lines for the new houses that had been occupied recently. Turns out they were there to run fibre.

Then last week an Openreach contractor started digging up the unfinished pavement outside my house. I asked him if he was running fibre. He told me that they were there to clear a couple of blockages that Openreach encountered while trying to run the fibre.

They had all that sorted in a couple of days. I'm still waiting on Openreach coming back to run the fibre. I'm hoping they come back soon. I did speak to another Openreach guy last week who was working down the bottom of the same street installing FTTP for someone. He said he knew the area was getting FTTP but they just go where they are told and don't have sight of the plans/timescales (which is what I expected to be honest).

Does anyone have any ballpark figures as to how long the wait is between fibre being ran and it being orderable?
  Print Thread

Jump to