General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Jun-17 08:48:19
Print Post

Curious about FTTC authentication

[link to this post]

I'm changing providers (due to go live today). Last night I played around with my router and found that my new username/password combo 'apparently' worked with my current Plusnet account (that is - I could use the new credentials and still got connected with my current ISP). So as an experiment I left my router set up that way. Shortly after midnight it appears my connection stopped working.

So out of curiosity I have a couple of questions:

* Is this just PN's systems being lackadaisical about checking credentials? Or is it BT's bras?
* The new connection is due to go live sometime today. Do you think it'll just burst into life or will the router need a kick?

Just idle curiosity really.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Jun-17 09:43:21
Print Post

Re: Curious about FTTC authentication

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The username and password on a VDSL link is largely irrelevant to anything. The fact you have to be physically connected to the line is what effectively provides security - BT use generic IDs, some ISPs use no login credentials at all and it sounds like PlusNet no longer worry about the ID going by your experience.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Jun-17 11:28:13
Print Post

The BRAS doesn't authenticate you. It just looks as the domain and forwards your request to the RADIUS servers it holds for that domain.

user@plus.net - BRAS looks only at the @plus.net part and forwards your details to the server it holds for domain @plus.net and waits on response.

Who is your new ISP?

Plusnet disable customer accounts on their RADIUS servers just after midnight on the day of the move which is intensely annoying as it guarantees people outage when they leave, and they don't enable them until after they've received confirmation the job is closed, which guarantees outage upon joining.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jun-17 15:50:19
Print Post

I have a follow-up query. The sequence of events for my migration was:

1. Approx 10pm changed credentials from losing ISP (Plusnet) to gaining ISP (IDNet)
The connection appeared to continue just fine.
2. As per Ignitionnet's post my connection was terminated shortly after midnight.
3. Midday I returned home from work, rebooted the router and it all started working.

Now an important point here is that I'm still using my original HG612. So at no point during this should the DSL have gone down. However since the migration my HG612 has only connected at 60/20 instead of the normal 68/20. I have once rebooted the HG612 as an experiment to see if I'd get my old speed back but I didn't.

I'm assuming it will bounce back in a few days but I'm puzzled. Why would any of this have affected my connection speed?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 12-Jun-17 15:53:21)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Jun-17 16:03:00
Print Post

May have triggered DLM to rerun changing ISP.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Jun-17 19:10:11
Print Post

As ukhardy says.

Had G.INP been activated on your line?

DLM seems to have been reset, and that would cause it to revert to Fast Path, or normal interleaving if appropriate. It takes two days normally for G.INP to kick back in.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 68952/12747Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jun-17 22:24:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Had G.INP been activated on your line?
It was this time last year. BT diagnostics still won't run so I can't find my IP profile. Looks like DLM is either confused or still gathering data :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Jun-17 00:41:48
Print Post

As a new customer on Uno it took a few weeks for G.INP to activate on my line although I moved from ADSL2+ to FTTC. I am wondering if when you migrate DLM is reset and you start fresh on the line which might be why without G.INP your sync has lost 8m.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 71602/17848
  Print Thread

Jump to