General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jumping
(regular) Thu 08-Jun-17 09:51:45
Print Post

modem choice

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to check what is the best modem to get these days?

Reason for my question is that I recently moved to Plusnet and been using their provided router, to connect and give me my WiFi. However I would like to use my Asus RT AC-87u router instead as I feel it is better.

But I want to know what is the best modem to get to be able to get line stats out of it, I have the eci Openreach modem but as you can't get any information out of it keen to get something else. Not sure if the Huawei is still the best option which you can still get from ebay or if there anything else as good or better (without being to expensive)

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Jun-17 10:01:01
Print Post

Re: modem choice

[re: Jumping] [link to this post]

Huawei if with the newer power supply are good, but some report starting to die, i.e. getting old

I use a TP Link W9970 (Amazon £29.99) in bridge mode, or sometimes as modem and router (one caveat never have got IPv6 to work) but this does better than both an ECI modem and HomeHub 5a on my lines. Wifi is turned off and could chop off the antenna if I wanted.

Essentially any modem that supports bridge mode and is based around a Broadcom chipset with vectoring and G.INP support should be good.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jumping
(member) Thu 08-Jun-17 11:49:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Huawei if with the newer power supply are good, but some report starting to die, i.e. getting old

I use a TP Link W9970 (Amazon £29.99) in bridge mode, or sometimes as modem and router (one caveat never have got IPv6 to work) but this does better than both an ECI modem and HomeHub 5a on my lines. Wifi is turned off and could chop off the antenna if I wanted.

Essentially any modem that supports bridge mode and is based around a Broadcom chipset with vectoring and G.INP support should be good.

OK sounds like a plan to get that and with it being a new device it is a better choice than the aging Huawei's.

I take it is easy to get full line stats etc out of this device? Main reason for this is there are some issues on my line and getting more in depth information than the basic you get from the Plusnet router would be great.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fishpan
(regular) Thu 08-Jun-17 11:58:54
Print Post

Other options are Zyxel VMG8324/8924, Billion 8800NL which can be had for relatively cheap on the Bay. All solid performers and get better stats than HG612 on my line. Easy to set up with Routerstats or DSLstats with easy telnet access.

Sky Fibre Max 80/20 - sync 65300/19999 around 450m (Interleaved, G.INP disabled due to migration)
MyDSLWebStats: fishpan
ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20 > Sky 80/20
Standard User Jumping
(member) Thu 08-Jun-17 12:17:32
Print Post

[re: fishpan] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion but i decided to go with Mr S suggestion as it was a prime only price of £29.99 i signed up for a trial and as a bonus will get it delivered tomorrow smile

I hope this will get a bit of "snappines" back as the missus complains that Plusnet is so slow compared to the Sky connection and I think its because of the DNS servers.
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Thu 08-Jun-17 18:35:04
Print Post

No full stats I'm afraid...

You can install a custom config that enables full telnet access from the kitz forum here.

Ian
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Fri 09-Jun-17 20:17:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi. I'm interested in the TP Link W9970 to use with my ASUS RT-AC68U router. I think my Openreach Huawei modem might have died and I've reserved a W9970 for collection from Argos first thing tomorrow.

Can I configure the W9970 so that the Web interface appears at another IP other than 192.168.1.1 so that I can access it alongside the Asus router that's also on '1'. Cheers - Andy

Edited by Rhubarb (Fri 09-Jun-17 20:19:37)

Standard User Jumping
(member) Fri 09-Jun-17 20:33:50
Print Post

[re: Rhubarb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rhubarb:
Hi. I'm interested in the TP Link W9970 to use with my ASUS RT-AC68U router. I think my Openreach Huawei modem might have died and I've reserved a W9970 for collection from Argos first thing tomorrow.

Can I configure the W9970 so that the Web interface appears at another IP other than 192.168.1.1 so that I can access it alongside the Asus router that's also on '1'. Cheers - Andy

You can change the IP address, but I was just going to ask the question about accessing the TD-W9970 when its in bridge mode as you can't see nor access it when you connected to the Asus.

So curious on how you can get any connection stats unless if you connect to one of the other LAN ports and login might work?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jun-17 21:20:12
Print Post

Could do it over wifi with a dongle from the machine and non-internet local LAN, that's how I am getting stats and web page access to my WD9970. Also as well as changing LAN IP you can set up secondary LAN IP. I access web page on 192.168.1.254 and stats on 192.168.1.250.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 71804/17964
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Sun 11-Jun-17 09:52:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jumping:
...unless if you connect to one of the other LAN ports and login might work?

Well I've now got my W9970 set up and running as a modem and I can connect to the web interface by connecting an Ethernet cable from one of the spare ports on the W9970 to a PC. I had to set up the IP settings on the PC manually to access 192.168.1.1. HTH - Andy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to