General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Jul-17 20:48:17
Print Post

Re: My Fluidone FTTPoD install experience

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Managed to open up the CSP and have a quick peek inside its guts. Indeed, there are 4 fibre strands (*not 2 as I originally thought ) in the main incoming fibre feed - blue, green, orange and red. The blue strand is the one used for my service, the others are sort of coiled up in the trays (don't look very tidy!).

Going back to Bill100's question, I guess this means technically each fibre strand can be hooked/spliced up to its own ONT, so as things stand you could maybe have up to 16 FTTP connections off a single fibre feed - ie 4x4 or up to 4 FTTP connections when the single port ONT is released later in the year.

View of the trays when removing the CSP cover:

https://s14.postimg.org/vz4lowhm9/IMG_0360.jpg

Looking underneath the trays:

https://s14.postimg.org/4d1u47y9d/IMG_0361.jpg

View of the unsplit fibre strands (coming out of yellow bit):

https://s14.postimg.org/c72fpm629/IMG_0362.jpg

Blue fibre strand going to the ONT, encased in white 'EZ bend optical cable'

https://s14.postimg.org/yybic0r3l/IMG_0363.jpg

Underside of the CSP showing 3 spare output ports for each spare fibre (kevlar black/yellow cable is main feed and white cable is the feed going to the ONT)

https://s14.postimg.org/42ubkvjn5/IMG_0364.jpg

*will be visiting Specsavers soon frown

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 03-Jul-17 21:01:18)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Jul-17 22:44:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for the photos smile

Oh that does look neat and tidy, not even checked in mine.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 08:27:46
Print Post

I have to say I quite like that first photo of the coils of wire - it looks artistic to my eyes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jul-17 10:28:35
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Silly question, but is only one fibre strand used for FTTP? 100/1000BaseFX uses two strands of course (one for TX and one for RX) so does FTTP use different wavelengths on the same fibre for bi-directional data?

Yes, PON networks use a single strand, as do most point to point solutions, 1000BaseBX.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 13:46:31
Print Post

That looks fairly tidy to me, except in the second photo the light blue gripping tube has come out of its guides ... no biggy, not service affecting.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jul-17 14:10:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
That looks fairly tidy to me, except in the second photo the light blue gripping tube has come out of its guides ... no biggy, not service affecting.

Thanks, in that case I will leave things as they are. Don't want to repeatedly open the CSP and risk disturbing its delicate contents smile

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 18:38:00
Print Post

Thanks, in that case I will leave things as they are. Don't want to repeatedly open the CSP and risk disturbing its delicate contents

Sound idea. smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 18:40:39
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

And I am in East London.

Pau

Near the Pyranees ?

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jul-17 21:16:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
And I am in East London.

Pau

Near the Pyranees ?

That link took me to some place in France, I was like scratching my wondering why you thought France, then I noticed my partial name, oh very good tongue

I live in the E12 area if that helps.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Tue 04-Jul-17 21:49:50
Print Post

I've been out of the UK for half a decade now, but since I moved to the US I've had a FTTP connection so am pretty familiar with how the home infrastructure side of things works.

To my mind this install - especially that awful black router / WiFi thing - is eye opening. At my home, the fibre is delivered from a pole, which then terminates into an outside ONT. Newer ONTs are internal, but the vast majority of homes have external ONTs. The cat5 drop simply comes from outside to my own infrastructure.

Why is the BT ONT sitting inside your house like that? It looks awful, especially with all those wires. I would have asked for it to be placed in my loft (or basement, though appreciate the UK doesn't have those outside of London), and snaked the cables from there.

How much does this cost you out of interest? A gigabit connection with Verizon is $70 (inc taxes) in my region.

Lastly, why is the speed so slow? 30Mbit upload? That is amateur hour. I have a 150/150 connection here, with Gigabit available. What is your ISPs excuse for providing such a measly upload when the download is 330?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to