General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Sat 10-Jun-17 10:59:28
Print Post

Open Reach checker going backward?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of the Open Reach broadband checker going backward?

I live in a rural a village on the outskirts of York called Hessay.We are connected to the Rufforth exchange (MYRUF) Whilst the Rufforth exchange has been FTTC enabled for years the cabinet that serves the village of Hessay (Cabinet 3) has not yet been upgraded.

Using the Open Reach fibre checker it had progressed to "In Build". This now appears to have moved back to "In Scope"

Using the Magenta CodeLook I get "FTTC being Built, live due by August 2017" (this was July at one point, but hey, what is a month delay after waiting several years)

Should I be worried that it's likely something has gone wrong and we're not going to be getting fibre anytime soon?

Any help appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Jun-17 11:12:52
Print Post

Re: Open Reach checker going backward?

[re: Steve_York] [link to this post]

The plans do ebb and flow since things can crop up that push back work that was scheduled. So as long as the cab is still showing in the plans its don't give up just yet time

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Jun-17 13:06:43
Print Post

They may have had to go back to the drawing board if when they went to site the cab there were some unforseen reason that it couldn't be located where the designers has originally planned.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Sat 10-Jun-17 13:17:14
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

It's what happened to our cabinet originally. One second expecting fibre to appear, next OR had gone back to the drawing board. Not all doom and gloom though.

As it happened the 6 month delay was a vast improvement on the original plans. The revised cabinet location ended up being sited In the village instead of a couple of km away. We get nice speeds smile Just a shame about the copper bit though. I've had more problems to do with that part in 18 months than any issues to do with the fibre bit.

Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Sat 24-Jun-17 22:29:45
Print Post

Thanks all for the replies.

Sadly it seems it is not something quite as innocent as a technical hitch. I queried the change with open reach, and got an impressively speedy reply:

Weíve investigated and found that your line was a part of FTTC (Fibre to the CABINET) project. This project was rolled out under SEP (superfast extension programme) project. However, the project is cancelled. As it is a Government owned project, we donít have information about the projectís cancellation reason(s).

Anyone know why a SEP rollout would be cancelled and what we can realistically do to get things movig forward? Any and all help appreciated,
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Jun-17 02:09:05
Print Post

Most likely cost. It became too expensive per premises to be considered value for money. May come back into scope via FTTC or FTTP.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Jun-17 23:09:01
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Most likely cost. It became too expensive per premises to be considered value for money. May come back into scope via FTTC or FTTP.

Agreed, on my exchange which was mostly to be FTTP and rest as FTTC as part as the Commercial rollout back in 2011.
Most if not all the FTTC and a small percentage of the FTTP were completed back then leaving the rest partially completed.

BT are now coming back to complete that work still as part as a commercial project which is now due in 9 months time (i.e. Feb-Mar 2018) so the old commercial rollouts are starting to be done.

Granted depending on what has already been put in place before the halt will result in what gets rolled out in that area, some are still FTTP whereas some areas are being pushed back to FTTC.

I know a lot of Commercial work in London got put on hold in favour of BDUK contractual dead lines.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Jun-17 01:02:39
Print Post

Your area swapped from the North Yorkshire scheme to the West Yorkshire scheme for SEP, and I can't imagine the whole project has been cancelled.

One port of call would be the Superfast West Yorkshire team, while another would be your MP.

This article mentions Hessay for 2018:
http://www.juliansturdy.co.uk/news-and-articles/upda...
  Print Thread

Jump to