General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User beercan
(regular) Sat 10-Jun-17 11:44:26
Print Post

Falling fibre speed - is my home network to blame?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My FTTC went live on Tuesday and started at 33-34Mbps. Since then, speed tests show it’s been dropping daily and this morning at its worst was at 18-20Mbps.
Speeds are similar on my mobile, wired PC and wireless laptop so all devices are affected.
A reboot of the router has put it back up to around 26-28Mbps but this is obviously lower than expected. I see the advice is to expect fluctuations in the first 10 days but it seems odd that it’s consistently dropped a couple of meg per day…
Package is Sky fibre unlimited. I was advised by sky to expect 32-40Mbps.

The router is a TP-Link Archer VR200 (AC750).
Connection stats are:
Upstream –Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) – 6690 – 29561
Max Rate(kbps) – 8194 – 34398
SNR Margin(dB) – 6.1 – 6.3
Line Attenuation(dB) – 31.7 – 27.3
Errors(pkts) – 0 – 269

The router has been tested using the standard and test sockets of the master socket, with phone both connected and disconnected.
I’ve tested using different microfilters and RJ11 cables.
The router’s default position is approx. 10m from the socket, connected by a longer RJ11 cable (runs straight from filter in master socket to router).
All combinations produce similar results, except for moving the router and using the test socket and short Sky RJ11 cable does offer a small c.1Mbps performance boost, but I cannot leave it by the socket as all my house Ethernet terminates on the other side of the room where the router lives.

Should I expect to see my connection rise back to the 33-34Mbps level, or am I destined for 27-28 from now on?
If I do need to relocate the router by the master socket, am I going to negate the benefit by having to extend the other ethernet connections by using a gigabit switch or some cat6 ethernet extenders across the room?

Many thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Jun-17 11:55:02
Print Post

Re: Falling fibre speed - is my home network to blame?

[re: beercan] [link to this post]

Not so much fluctuations, but rather the DLM system is monitoring and starts to slow things down to reduce errors after a day or two, and the tendency is for things to decrease until a stable speed has been found. If things improve and stay improved the DLM system does relent.

If you have been doing lots of 'testing' that involves plugging and unplugging the modem this may have helped the DLM system to think things are worse.

The fact the test socket offers some improvement suggests that in home wiring is probably picking up errors and the DLM is reacting to those. If ring wire is still attached on extensions lift it out of the IDC jaws (pin 3) at extension and master faceplate.

Extending the Ethernet is not going to cause an issue unless you use cotton for the wire or distances are over 100m.

As the DLM system has seen a few days of poor performance by now, if you do make things 'near perfect' then you may not get the speed back for a few weeks.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Jun-17 13:30:20
Print Post

Re: Falling fibre speed - is my home network to blame?

[re: beercan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by beercan:
The router has been tested using the standard and test sockets of the master socket, with phone both connected and disconnected.
I’ve tested using different microfilters and RJ11 cables.
The router’s default position is approx. 10m from the socket, connected by a longer RJ11 cable (runs straight from filter in master socket to router).
All combinations produce similar results, except for moving the router and using the test socket and short Sky RJ11 cable does offer a small c.1Mbps performance boost, but I cannot leave it by the socket as all my house Ethernet terminates on the other side of the room where the router lives.

Are you using a high quality 10 metre RJ11 > CAT5e 100% copper, twisted pair cable > RJ11 lead between the filter and the router? Is the RJ11 lead running near other electrical equipment and/or closely in parallel with mains electrical wiring in the room?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to