General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scr0t
(member) Mon 12-Jun-17 10:53:20
Print Post

House not listed on Openreach checker

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm moving house soon, but the property isn't currently listed on on the Openreach fibre checker - the post code lists multiple houses including the neighbouring houses - but not mine.

This is an old house not a new build, and the current occupant has an existing broadband service (I think it's fibre).

When checking various providers sites, sometimes it doesn't let me proceed with the order, or sometimes only shows standard fibre (40:10) instead of 80:20.

Has anyone had any experience with getting the checker updated by OR, or is there a way I can get a provider to force an order through?
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jun-17 11:11:46
Print Post

Re: House not listed on Openreach checker

[re: scr0t] [link to this post]

It would be up to the gaining ISP to do the donkey work if they want your business.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Jun-17 11:36:21
Print Post

What does the address checker here say? Do not use the pure Postcode option as for technical reasons it often cannot be trusted.

Are you sure the current broadband is not on Virgin Media?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65740/12878Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scr0t
(member) Mon 12-Jun-17 11:49:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does the address checker here say? Do not use the pure Postcode option as for technical reasons it often cannot be trusted.

Are you sure the current broadband is not on Virgin Media?

"Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker"

Current SP is definitely Sky, the adjoining houses appear on the checker showing estimated VDSL speeds. As far as I can tell the house is served from the same cab.
Standard User scr0t
(member) Mon 12-Jun-17 11:58:09
Print Post

Ah, using the post codes listed under the cab, I've found the house is actually listed against a different post code
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jun-17 12:05:09
Print Post

Does it show correctly on the royal mail website?
Standard User scr0t
(member) Mon 12-Jun-17 12:15:40
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Yes, on the RM website it shows with the correct post code. Just on the Openreach and BT checker it shows against an incorrect one...
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jun-17 16:34:43
Print Post

Is it an adjacent postcode?

I know of a tenement block in Edinburgh, of 11 flats, where the bottom-right, ground-floor flat has the same postcode as the immediate-next block, breaking the general pattern of the wholes street of about 10 blocks.
Standard User scr0t
(member) Mon 12-Jun-17 20:46:36
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Kind of, it's quite a rural area so not overly surprised of address mix ups. I'm going to check with the current occupant to see which post code the current service is installed with - but I assume there's no technical reason the order can't be put on the wrong post code?
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Jun-17 06:12:45
Print Post

As far as I am aware, technically there should be no problems.

As mentioned on the Yarnfield Training thread, it is "just a pair of wires".

Maybe that's a Yarn the Instructors put about!.

Judging by previous threads on TBB, getting the Admin side to accept "a different postcode" can be another game altogether.

Hope you get it sorted out, without too much trouble.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to