General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rhydszz
(newbie) Mon 12-Jun-17 14:09:15
Print Post

What speed should I expect

[link to this post]

OpenReach line checker says that I should expect a speed of about 35 Mbps on ffibre on my line, but some neighbours claim to be getting more than that. I am between 200 and 250m from the cabinet, SNR is measured as 20.5 and line attenuation is 12.3dB.

What should I reasonably expect my broadband speed to be (subject to suitable plan)?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jun-17 14:12:20
Print Post

Re: What speed should I expect

[re: Rhydszz] [link to this post]

Can you post the full stats from your router? Line speed down and up, SNR down and up, attenuation down and up? Also, if you can post the actual results from the BT OpenReach checker (minus any personal detail such as phone number)?

Do you have any extensions in your house? What else is plugged in to the line? Have you checked the stats if the router is connected direct to the test socket?

What service are you signed up for?

Edited by ian72 (Mon 12-Jun-17 14:12:58)

Standard User Rhydszz
(newbie) Mon 12-Jun-17 14:31:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Line Checker
Broadband Stats

I hope the files are attached here. My problem is that I'm only actually getting 32Mbps. I'm on the 50/10 plan from Plusnet and the speed has slowly been dropping over the past year. Plusnet can't see what's causing it. What I would like to know is should I be pressing Plusnet to harder as I would like to upgrade to the 80/20 plan.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jun-17 15:19:43
Print Post

I don't think Plusnet do a 50/10 plan??? You are synced at 41Mb so where is the 32Mb coming from? Is that speed tests?

You also look to have spare in the downstream SNR (reporting as 20dB - unless this is a router that has the decimal place bug in the stats). Something doesn't look right in the upstream though - seems a high number of HEC errors (unless that is a router interface glitch) and would expect it to sync a bit higher given the potential high sync of the downstream.

Is that an unlocked Huawei modem? If so, can you get the stats from telnet as I am wondering if the GUI is reporting the stats wrongly?

What about my other questions? Especially around the test socket?
Standard User Rhydszz
(newbie) Mon 12-Jun-17 17:39:18
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I could have sworn they sent me an email saying that they had increased the bandwidth on my plan to 50Mbps but I can't find it now. Yes, the 32 is from speed tests (multiple test sites)

I think I've managed to get the stats via telnet as you suggested (this is really stretching my knowledge). Results shown below. My thanks to that nice (?) Mr. Google for assistance in how to do that. I doesn't appear to matter whether anything else is plugged in, stats are the same (on the web interface anyway).

Yes, I bought an unlocked HG612 modem last week.

Tests are done from the master socket. I can't find a test socket or any other compatible hole to plug into.

xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 2
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 8430 Kbps, Downstream rate = 40572 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 8426 Kbps, Downstream rate = 41434 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2420)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3366)
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate: 8430 kbps 40572 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power: 5.6 dBm 12.3 dBm
====================================================================================
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 U4 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 5.6 32.6 49.4 N/A N/A 15.3 40.5 63.4
Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.6 31.7 47.3 N/A N/A 23.0 40.2 63.6
SNR Margin(dB): 6.4 6.3 6.4 N/A N/A 6.3 6.2 6.3
TX Power(dBm): 0.4 -10.1 3.8 N/A N/A 9.3 7.9 3.6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Jun-17 17:45:26
Print Post

Is the speed testing down when connected via Ethernet? And have you checked what IP Profile is recorded against your line at PlusNet?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rhydszz
(newbie) Mon 12-Jun-17 17:55:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not sure what you mean by "connected via ethernet". It's done using the normal connection setup, which is what I would call ethernet.

I haven't checked what I{ profile is recorded as I don't know how to or how to interpret the response.

This is all getting a little too advanced for my limited knowledge on the subject. I think I need to pass it back to Plusnet to see what they can/will do for me.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Mon 12-Jun-17 18:05:56
Print Post

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think Plusnet will do anything as your current connection speed of 41Mbps is within the estimated 35-50Mbps.

It looks like you are one of the users that got moved from the 40/20 package to the 55/10 package.

Edited by IanBB (Mon 12-Jun-17 18:06:24)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jun-17 18:20:54
Print Post

You need to purchase a faster product from Plusnet, or someone else..... by the looks of those stats your line should comfortably do much higher sync rates.

Standard User Rhydszz
(newbie) Mon 12-Jun-17 18:42:51
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Well, I've just run another speedtest on this site and download has jumped up to 38Mbps which I can only attribute to taking the master socket apart to try to find the test socket and putting it back together again. Could it have been a poor connection? Upload speed does still appear to have a problem, though at 7Mbps..

The reason for this question originally was to find out if upgrading to the higher bandwidth product would be worthwhile. It looks as if it might be.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to