General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davey33
(newbie) Wed 14-Jun-17 17:27:11
Print Post

Rightmove/BT speed checker confusion.

[link to this post]

According to Rightmove, a property I am interested in can only get a maximum of 5mbps broadband whereas typing neighbouring postcodes into Rightmove (which are all on the same cabinet) give 50mbps+ fibre speeds. All of the properties on the postcode of the house I am interested in are connected to the same cabinet.

I tried typing the properties postcode and address into Dslchecker and the results suggested the property should get a maximum of 65mbps (clean range)with the lowest beign 32mbps (impacted). Entering the address into various ISP websites also indicate similar speeds should be available. The same is also true of the other properties on the postcode.

However, If you type the postcode into Samknows it says fibre is unavailable. Confusingly it also says fibre is unavailable for the properties on the postcodes that Rightmove gives 50mbps+ speeds to!

Can anyone offer advice?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jun-17 17:33:58
Print Post

Re: Rightmove/BT speed checker confusion.

[re: davey33] [link to this post]

All depends on closely the various sites following the roll-out, without a cabinet and exchange (ideally postcode) hard to say anything more.

Hopefully my checker https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/postcode-search has the fibre presence correct, for VDSL2 I try to be as close to live as possible, FTTP can be a bit slower.

Generally though always best to trust the DSLCheck (wholesale) and then the providers, especially as areas can hit capacity limits and people be left waiting for a few weeks or months for more capacity. Also not all providers sell all fibre options too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davey33
(learned) Wed 14-Jun-17 17:54:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The exchange is Yarpole, the cabinet is 1 and the postcode is SY8 4JN. Will this help you give me more information?

This what I got from your checker:

Under "speedtest within the past 12 months" the speed was 2mbps. However there is a green tick next to "Superfast fibre >24mbps" and it says "Fibre (FTTC) is possibly available and speeds will likely be above 30 Mbps".
The maximum connection speed was 4.6 mbps
Under availability there is green tick and 100% next to "superfast broadband" and "NGA"
Under connection information it says 1 person is getting less than 2mbps and 5 are getting between 2 and 5mbps.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by davey33 (Wed 14-Jun-17 17:54:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jun-17 18:03:50
Print Post

Okay the data in the panel

thinkbroadband data looks to reflect what I can see from the checkers the providers use.

The 4.6 maximum and other bits are from the Ofcom data which was released in Feb 2017, but is based on data from sometime between March and June 2016.

Looking back at our data we spotted the cabinet going live at the end of April 2016 and while it is a couple of hundred metres from your postcode we do have people clearly on a VDSL2 service e.g. http://tbb.st/1481910528312840255

So looks like you can get a service, and possibly those sites that say you cannot may be using the older Ofcom data.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 14-Jun-17 23:17:27
Print Post

Why not ask BT if the value of the property is correct?

Should you really trust an estate agent to give accurate details on Broadband? I certainly would not.

For me it says that Virgin Media at 200Mbps is available - WRONG and that BT can only provide up to 48Mbps - WRONG again. VM is not available and I get speeds of 76Mbps with a near 80Mbps sync.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to