General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lexicalgap
(newbie) Sat 17-Jun-17 13:29:59
Print Post

Switching when cabinet full?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I recently moved flat, taking the remainder of my Sky Fibre contract with me. Initially, the home move failed as the cabinet was at maximum capacity. As ADSL was already served to the flat (I moved in with someone), I was about to cancel my Sky contract when I saw through the bt wholesale checker that availability had just opened up.

I quickly re-started my home move order with Sky, and as of yesterday I have fibre. I asked the openreach engineer who visited, and they said only one port had opened up...so a happy coincidence for me.

Unfortunately, I was only moving my Sky contract over to avoid early termination fees. Though I do want to keep fibre, I was under the impression in 3/4 months when the price goes up I would easily be able to switch over to a new provider as my line would already have fibre.

I'm reading that this might not be the case? I have also tweeted all the major broadband providers, so stick to the "if the wholesale site says no, then no " line. But elsewhere, I'm reading conflicting information about whether or not a switch is possible for existing lines?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Jun-17 14:20:27
Print Post

Re: Switching when cabinet full?

[re: lexicalgap] [link to this post]

A spare port is needed with the way switching is handled, annoying but that is the way it works to ensure that every provider is treated equally.

If your change is 3 to 4 months away then possible more capacity will have been added, i.e. have not found a cabinet where this has not happened yet, just it can take varying amounts of time depending on what the extra capacity requires, e.g. more link cables, more line cards, an extension to existing cabinet or a complete new extra fibre cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lexicalgap
(newbie) Sat 17-Jun-17 14:24:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. I think I've approx. 4 months remaining, I'll write a script to alert me when/if the availability changes and hope for the best.

Frustrating, as I would have cancelled my remaining Sky contract and signed up for a cheaper deal for longer elsewhere if I had known this was going to be a problem!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Jun-17 16:47:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Afternoon Andrew

Do you have any idea of what would happen if I wanted a simple upgrade to my present 40/10 EE contract, to 80/20?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Jun-17 17:45:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

No

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Jun-17 18:59:14
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

yes, EE would request that the existing service be upgraded.

Print Thread

Jump to