General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Mon 19-Jun-17 19:15:23
Print Post

FTTP Coming soon?

[link to this post]

Hi quick question here, so my village filed for a £2,500 survey via a community partnership, that was around January.
Around 4 weeks ago we were given the fixed quote from BT/Openreach but we were confused by some of the wording and how it would be deployed to our village, i know it would be deployed overhead via the village to distribution points and then when you order they would bring it from the DP to the house, but we weren't sure if it would be overhead to the village or underground. EDIT: Forgot to mention we weren't sure if we would have to self dig to the village either.

Anyways, a couple of days ago we had a openreach engineer out assessing where a couple more poles would go and which roads they would be closing and he said they would be starting work soon, i thought this was strange that they would send out another engineer as the survey has already been completed. As far as i know BT/openreach haven't been paid to start the work so i was wondering if they now think it's commercially viable to bring it to my village? I know they just recently i a few miles from my village nstalled 1.5 miles of new poles for 2 houses which seems ridiculous.

Finally if i go to http://dslchecker.bt.com/ and type in my tel number it displays FTTP on demand is available, which i know it isn't, just strange that it's showing it's available, it does the same for all the other tel numbers i know in my village.

Edited by MikeJG (Mon 19-Jun-17 19:19:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jun-17 19:27:59
Print Post

Re: FTTP Coming soon?

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

Is the cabinet live for VDSL2 but you are too far to get a decent VDSL2 speed? That would explain the FoD option.

If you are exchange only lines then FoD should never be an option

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Mon 19-Jun-17 20:09:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, my cabinet was FTTC enable last year but because of my distance i can't get it. The FoD option hasn't been there for long, maybe a couple of days.

So why is FoD an option? I take it, it isn't actually available?

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: What do you make of the other information i provided about the engineer saying they'd be starting work soon etc.

Edited by MikeJG (Mon 19-Jun-17 20:20:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Jun-17 21:33:58
Print Post

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

If FoD is showing as available then sure you can order it ...but it will cost every individual property £1000s based on distance to nearest aggregation node. It's available nearly everywhere in an FTTC enabled area.

If you've clubbed together with your neighbours and are looking to go down the community funded native FTTP route then obviously Openreach would not proceed with the build without your approval and I guess a deposit. You need to go back to your contact at Openreach and ask them to clarify their plans, they may have decided that commerciallyl funded FTTP is viable after all.

------------------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps