General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mattan
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 14:21:10
Print Post

Combined VDSL Modem & Router

[link to this post]

I'm looking for a combined VDSL modem/router, but don't need wifi. The reason for this is that I've been having issues with using an access point alongside the router's wifi (seen this problem with vodafone router and TP-Link & Netgear). I'll be buying another AP (Ubiquiti Unifi) for all my wifi, however I don't want to buy all Unifi kit as this will involve a separate modem, router and switch (too many plugs and wires!).

So, to keep the number of boxes down to a minimum, I was hoping to get a combined VDSL modem and router. Are there any decent non-wifi versions out there or is it just as good to buy one with wifi and just turn it off?

I'm on a Huawei cabinet if that makes any difference.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Jun-17 14:37:41
Print Post

Re: Combined VDSL Modem & Router

[re: mattan] [link to this post]

I've been having issues with using an access point alongside the router's wifi (seen this problem with vodafone router and TP-Link & Netgear).
Can't you just disable their wifi? If not, just have a different SSID for your WAP?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 22-Jun-17 14:51:13
Print Post

the original openreach hg612 modems can be unlocked and configured as a router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mattan
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 14:54:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I'm currently using the Vodafone router with wifi off (having returned the TP-Link/Netgear as I was trying to get a 'single box' solution), but it's not the best router. So, the idea is to connect two APs to the modem/router and was wondering what to replace the vodafone router with.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Jun-17 14:57:18
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Not a very powerful one, and can have problems with that if on a high-sync line. In any case the modem component looks to give significantly lower connection speeds than more modern kit.

A few also seem to be beginning to degrade and possible fail.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User mattan
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 14:58:25
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
the original openreach hg612 modems can be unlocked and configured as a router

Didn't realise they could be converted to a router too. Assume they need to be unlocked first. Does this give features you'd see on a 'standard' router, such as DHCP, address reservation, port forwarding etc.?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Jun-17 14:59:23
Print Post

Now you need to tell us what you consider "the best router", else we don't know what is wrong with the Vodafone and may recommend something you won't like once you have it smile.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Jun-17 15:00:57
Print Post

They only have two 100Mbps ethernet ports don't forget when used in combo/mode. So your WAPs would be a bit hampered.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 22-Jun-17 15:01:44)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 22-Jun-17 15:09:32
Print Post

Yes a basic modem/router without wifi but you won't find much online help as they are locked down as a modem by default

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 22-Jun-17 15:13:12)

Standard User mattan
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 15:40:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Now you need to tell us what you consider "the best router", else we don't know what is wrong with the Vodafone and may recommend something you won't like once you have it smile.

I'm not looking for Enterprise-grade! However, there's been enough reports on the VF router dropping connection etc., plus it doesn't have any QoS capability. Other than that I just want a modem/router that syncs well and is stable and has most of the standard features you get from the main manufacturers, e.g. DHCP, address reservation, QoS, port forwarding, UPnP etc. I've some devices wired (NAS, console, Sonos, blu-ray), plus handful of wireless. Nothing out of the ordinary.

One option is to buy a Netgear D6220 or TP-Link VR600 as these have decent functionality, but I obviously don't need their wifi. Is there a better/cheaper alternative or do these represent decent modem/routers even though I won't use the wifi?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to