General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomos
(committed) Fri 23-Jun-17 21:06:13
Print Post

EO line = no hope for decent speeds? only lowly adsl2?

[link to this post]

went on:
https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g...

to check and from a few years ago the only thing these sites adds is that now it tells me i'm on an exchange only line.

Exchange name: Liverpool Central
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: -
Technology: Pending - EO Line

with no cable around either then I guess i'm stuck with slow as hell internet for the next decade and beyond? frown

---
1st ISP - Demon - Dialup
2nd ISP - Pipex 512K, then 1Mb
3rd ISP - PlusNet 2Mb, kicked off after being placed on the bad boy pipe
4th ISP - Zen 2Mb. no probs at all.
5th ISP - Bulldog 4Mb then 8Mb, now 18Mb
6th ISP - O2. 18-20MB
7th ISP - O2 access. 8meg limited
8th ISP - Sky. too soon to tell
Standard User sheephouse
(learned) Fri 23-Jun-17 22:46:39
Print Post

Re: EO line = no hope for decent speeds? only lowly adsl2?

[re: tomos] [link to this post]

Some of us with EO lines are stuck on ADSL, so you are relatively lucky to have ADSL2!
Standard User tomos
(committed) Sat 24-Jun-17 00:08:04
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

i know there are worse off but it doesn't help.

is there any hope of getting decent speeds or are we stuck waiting on the next tech to come along (and possibly get sidestepped there too)

i don't get the reason why it's not done. i mean i read that they have to make 2 cabs instead of one but considering they'd be side by side would it be that hard? also, aren't most EO lines in city centre areas? I have buildings full of people as well as law firms, accountants, engineers etc and no cable so BT is their only option.

surely that would give a decent ROI over installing cabs for fewer people in less densely populated areas which are consumer only (not business)

---
1st ISP - Demon - Dialup
6th ISP - O2. 18-20MB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 01:15:34
Print Post

Hard? Not really. Expensive? Yes.

In fact, EO line re-arrangement always needs enough of a subsidy that it has only happened within BDUK projects.

Businesses aren't projected as having as high a level of demand as residential, so don't end up giving an improved ROI for fibre. They don't help much.

Looking at codelook, it seems that Liverpool Central is almost entirely devoid of FTTC - even if you already have a cabinet. 40 cabinets, but only 4 have FTTC upgrades, 1 of which is BDUK-subsidised.
Standard User tomos
(committed) Sat 24-Jun-17 01:56:24
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

so i'm SOL then? stuck on ancient tech.

god this country sucks at internet. no wonder we don't have any kind of silicon valley. in the US (and the legal monopolies they have) even verizon gives synchronous gigabit in some areas.

---
1st ISP - Demon - Dialup
6th ISP - O2. 18-20MB
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 08:32:49
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In fact, EO line re-arrangement always needs enough of a subsidy that it has only happened within BDUK projects.

While I agree that there needs enough of a subsidy I don't fully agree it only happens with BDUK Projects.

There were several EO Blocks on my Exchange got given a new PCP and then not long after a Fibre cabinet, but these were done as part of LEP (London Extension Programme) and LEP PLUS.
This has happened 3 to 4 times now on my exchange.

The remaining EO Blocks on my exchange will probably be moved over to nearby cabinets between now and mid 2018, not long after the due by dates for the remaining cabinets on my exchange as part of the Commercial Project.

TBH I did think that the Commercial Project was finished when I saw LEP starting to show up.

However BT told me on the phone (NOT the over seas team) that they are still running / finishing off the commercial projects that got put on hold a few years back.

They went on to say that all remaining areas on my exchange (that were down to be commissioned in 2011) are all currently being surveyed and have a due by date of Feb-Mar 2018 or sooner depending on what stage the areas were at when it was put on hold.

So I am assuming the funding for those was already allocated for those back then.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User dippylicious
(newbie) Sat 24-Jun-17 08:46:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but if it is saying "Pending - EO Line" i'm sure that means it is in scope? If it wasn't you'd get a message saying "Exploring Solutions".
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 08:57:40
Print Post

[re: dippylicious] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dippylicious:
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but if it is saying "Pending - EO Line" i'm sure that means it is in scope? If it wasn't you'd get a message saying "Exploring Solutions".

As far as I can see going by checks in the past, when it says "Pending EO Line" it has then later on gone over to a cabinet.

This still doesn't mean they are in scope of getting fibre, that EO Line might get routed to a cabinet that might be too far to get FTTC, or it might get routed to a cabinet that has no free Fibre ports free, or maybe it will be moved over to a brand new cabinet along with other EO Line Blocks.

So the "Pending EO Line" is just possibly the move to a PCP Cabinet and if the OP line is stating that, they will have to wait for that process to happen first and then go on then from there.

But at this stage we don't know the postcode for the EO Line Block(s) so until them this is all just guess work on what is going to happen.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Jun-17 09:16:25
Print Post

In the UK you can get Gigabit in some areas too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 09:23:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In the UK you can get Gigabit in some areas too

If you are lucky enough to live in flats or a new building estate still under development, if you live in an old house, there is no chance in getting that, I have already checked back in 2014.

But yeah, the UK can get those speeds, so I agree with that tongue

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 24-Jun-17 09:23:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to