General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Tue 27-Jun-17 19:33:49
Print Post

TBB speed testing?

[link to this post]

When I use the new TBB speed tester the download readings are fine.
But the upload readings are a lot lower than the 17.5 Mbps that I have been getting , up to about a week ago it has only been showing about 6-10 Mbps.?
All other testers including the BTW one are ok.?
I have tried changing the DNS servers involved but it remains the same.?
BTW the upload is showing as "A" on the buffer bloat.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Jun-17 19:55:01
Print Post

Re: TBB speed testing?

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

Have dug out your recent tests as they are revealing and show things you may have missed...

http://tbb.st/1498587217501836655
http://tbb.st/1498587265734670555
http://tbb.st/1498588880222785055

Notice how the upload speeds are good for 3 to 4 seconds then drop, as they drop before the upload is 50% done, you end up with the low reading since its reporting a median. With other testers they are likely to report a figure much closer to the burst figure, i.e. all would look good.

The upload graph suggests the connection is able to deliver, but something somewhere is halving your speed after a few seconds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Tue 27-Jun-17 20:22:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting , and thanks for the info.
I will go back in time on my PC because it might be a resident background program that is using some upload bandwidth.?
But can`t think of anything at this time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 27-Jun-17 20:32:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Further to my last reply ,I have done 2 more tests and now the download is dropping and is very unstable.
Might be that my line is failing ,hope not.
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Tue 27-Jun-17 21:24:41
Print Post

What router are you using....any QOS settings applied
(regular) Tue 27-Jun-17 23:11:39
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
What router are you using....any QOS settings applied

I am using the original BT/OR router , and no QOS settings are applied.
Everything has been ok up until now and it is only the TBB tester that is picking up problems.
But as it is not making any difference online or resolving pages then it will probably not be a real pain.
Standard User GonePostal
(learned) Wed 28-Jun-17 20:47:48
Print Post

I am seeing the same sort problem but it seems to be browser related We have been away for a couple of weeks. Before we went Firefox was reporting upload speeds of about 16Mbps. Got back yesterday, updated Firefox to v55.0b4 (64 bit) and it is now reporting upload speeds of 2Mbps. BTW test currently reporting 15Mbps upload.

For comparison I ran the tests on another couple of browsers.

Flashpeak Slimjet (v14.0.16.0 (based on Chromium 57.0.2987.98 (64-bit)) reports TBB 9.8Mbps, BTW 15Mbps.

MS Edge reports TBB 16.6Mbps, BTW 14Mbps.

Given the consistency of the BTW results, it looks at first glance that the results generated from the latest version of the TBB speedtest are not consistent between one browser and another. Assuming that the speedtest is working as designed it would be helpful if there was a health warning that some browsers return inconsistent results.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jun-17 21:29:09
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

The health warning should be given by browsers when they offer upgrades really...

Payload upload logic is the same on upload for all browsers currently and has stood the test of time, so suggests maybe browsers have changed.

Looking through tests
http://tbb.st/1498668673658699355 seems to be same browser and managing fine

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Wed 28-Jun-17 21:47:08
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
I am seeing the same sort problem but it seems to be browser related We have been away for a couple of weeks. Before we went Firefox was reporting upload speeds of about 16Mbps. Got back yesterday, updated Firefox to v55.0b4 (64 bit) and it is now reporting upload speeds of 2Mbps. BTW test currently reporting 15Mbps upload.

For comparison I ran the tests on another couple of browsers.

Flashpeak Slimjet (v14.0.16.0 (based on Chromium 57.0.2987.98 (64-bit)) reports TBB 9.8Mbps, BTW 15Mbps.

MS Edge reports TBB 16.6Mbps, BTW 14Mbps.

Given the consistency of the BTW results, it looks at first glance that the results generated from the latest version of the TBB speedtest are not consistent between one browser and another. Assuming that the speedtest is working as designed it would be helpful if there was a health warning that some browsers return inconsistent results.

There have been a lot of updates from MS in the past two weeks or so , and some of them have been browser related apart from the usual Windows Defender updates.
BTW I am running Win 7 pro 64 bit at this time as I just don`t like Win 10.
As I have stated in an earlier post I will try going back a few weeks in windows to see if it reverts to what it used to be.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jun-17 21:52:40
Print Post

An exciting evening sat monitoring all the speed tests looking for unusual speeds now

Cannot expect to review them all but should be able to spot fast FTTC with slow upload

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to