General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobm11
(newbie) Wed 28-Jun-17 08:22:43
Print Post

BT Ultrafast - first thoughts

[link to this post]

I am on BT's G Fast trial for business users (£1 a month for six months) and thought I would share my initial thoughts.

I was previously on Infinity 2 and given I can see the cabinet from my window got speeds of 78 down and 20 up.

After booking the upgrade I was sent a BT Business Hub 5 (which I already had anyway).

On installation day the engineer went to the cabinet to switch my line to the new service and then fitted a new faceplate to my master socket, He then doubted the Hub would connect to the service.

After some investigation it seems the trial on business and residential lines is being conducted differently. Residential get a combined hub and modem. Business use the Hub 5 plus a Huawei MT992 modem.

His own tests gave speeds of 327 down and 45 up. (There is 63 metres of copper between me and the cabinet). That was using his test gear. His BT supplied phone app cannot do speeds over 100Mbps!

On connecting up my network we got speeds of 92/23 on th BT Wholesale checker. Engineer said that was nothing to worry about as the tester also wouldn't go above 100.

Turns out this is wrong. Problem was two-fold. Firstly the network card in my PC was locked down to 100 for some reason - so it was never going to report a speed above that. Secondly the cable connecting it to the hub wasn't in its first flush of youth. Experimenting with various different cables and routings has now reported speeds of 309/31. I also get consistently better speeds if I set the network card speed to 1Gbps rather than auto negotiate.

I have also tried the newly supplied Hub 5 and my original one and get similar speeds so it seems the Hub has not been tweaked for Ultrafast.

My line is still in the 10 day settling in period and I have noticed at times that the speed drops to as low(!) as 130.

I also have a Cat6 lead on order to see what effect that has.

Using WiFi on my phone and the 5GHz connection I get speeds typically of 180/31.

So overall I am pleased with the service I am getting. My primary reason for going for it (apart from the initial price) is the higher upload speed. I send a lot of large files to the cloud so a boost in that speed is welcome. I am hopeful some more tinkering and the new cable will increase that further.

Download speeds above 100 won't really affect most day to day users at the moment, there are too many slower points elsewhere in the chain to take advantage of it. It does work well with downloading my files from OneDrive however and they are noticeably faster.

Hopefully as the engineers do more installs they will avoid some of the pitfalls and assumptions I experienced - in the meantime this post might help you if you are joining the trial.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Jun-17 11:34:16
Print Post

Re: BT Ultrafast - first thoughts

[re: bobm11] [link to this post]

When I first tried to run my PC t 1Gbps I did find that the patch lead I was using was only good for 100Mbps. No obvious reason to my eyes.

Michael Chare
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Wed 28-Jun-17 12:20:22
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

100Mb ethernet only uses pins 1,2,3 & 6. !000Mb uses all 8 pins so perhaps your cable had a broken conductor?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Jun-17 13:37:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobm11:
His own tests gave speeds of 327 down and 45 up. .

Experimenting with various different cables and routings has now reported speeds of 309/31.

As you appear to be synced at the max 330/50 on G.Fast I would have thought your upload speedtests would show at least 40 Mbps...even after taking the overheads into account. Unless they've magically installed FTTP to your premises and put you on the 330/30 service ? wink

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Standard User bobm11
(newbie) Wed 28-Jun-17 13:47:31
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I must admit I am surprised. I am waiting for my Cat 6 lead to arrive before I do more tests.

The Additional test page of the BTW Speedchecker says "Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 50 Mbps"

So I am fairly certain I haven't been capped at 30Mbps
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Jun-17 13:56:26
Print Post

I know wired ethernet is always better but if you're considering going wireless (802.11ac) to a desktop pc then I would highly recommend this Asus PCI card. Use that with any 4x4 stream 802.11ac router and Bobs yer uncle smile

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jun-17 14:01:46
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

This is one of their speed tests I believe http://tbb.st/1498650610209466055

Others are pushing single thread to what you'd more expect http://tbb.st/1496272629115041655 (that is a FTTP location though)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Jun-17 15:19:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobm11:
I am on BT's G Fast trial for business users (£1 a month for six months)

And how much after 6 months?

I thought G.Fast get 330/50?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Jun-17 16:25:10
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Could be, it was no doubt a cheap one, might not have had 4 pairs!

Michael Chare
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 28-Jun-17 16:38:26
Print Post

Bob

Shows that end use equipment is yet again going to raise it's head, with Network card settings (and abilities) and Ethernet cable specs going to catch out a lot of people.

I expect to see a number of complaints about slower than expected speeds on G-fast due to these issues as people get caught out by the tendency for network settings to drop to 100Mb in many PCs for no reason I can detect.

Many people also assume that all Ethernet cables are the same and can do any speed you want, when reality is that many are not up to speeds above 100Mb ( (which may drive the network card issue above!) and when used as extension cables the better ones can degrade due to broken/dislodged wires when moved around a lot ( or coiled up in a bag). Longer cables can also restrict the speed ( 20m-30m+)

It may be useful if Andrew could put a guide to potential issues on here for G-Fast customer equipment as they are dentified that we can refer people to.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to