General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jul-17 13:32:57
Print Post

What is this setup

[link to this post]

My son moved into a new build property yesterday and there is a collection of Openreach stuff in one of the cupboards (see link)

Does anyone know what this is

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_zWlis1s58ZIAy-63VV...

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 01-Jul-17 13:42:00
Print Post

Re: What is this setup

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

That's FTTP
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jul-17 13:48:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Very nice, wish i could get it. Thanks for the clarification

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Jul-17 14:15:02
Print Post

FTTP as others have said, the smaller Openreach box with 3 LED on it is the battery backup unit, so even if there is a power cut any phone plugged into the ONT (the bigger white openreach box) will continue to function so long as its a good old corded phone.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 01-Jul-17 16:45:22
Print Post

Your speedtest.net fastest download demonstrates why their figures are not accurate. How, with a BT Infinity FTTC service can you get 84Mbps? 76 Mbps yes, anything more and something is wrong with the tester.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jul-17 17:14:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I have no idea and to be honest I don't care. That's what the Speedtest.net tester said 5 years ago when I gave some importance to what speed I got.

Now, broadband is nothing more than a tool, a means to an end

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jul-17 20:53:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Your speedtest.net fastest download demonstrates why their figures are not accurate. How, with a BT Infinity FTTC service can you get 84Mbps? 76 Mbps yes, anything more and something is wrong with the tester.

With FTTP Service you get a little more than what you pay.
I have Infinity 4 which is 300Mbit down and 30Mbit up and I get on average 310Mbit down and 31Mbit up from 1am to 4pm.

For a little while I was getting around 317Mbit down.

So it might be the same when you get Infinity 2 over FTTP.

I might be wrong, this is just guess work here.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Jul-17 21:21:16
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
With FTTP get on average 310Mbit down and 31Mbit up from 1am to 4pm.

Have you had BT investigate why your FTTP speeds drop after 4pm? It's very early days for me but so far my FTTP(oD) 330/30 service gives me solid 310/30 day & night with no slowdowns at all. I know like xDSL, FTTP is still a contended service but a quality ISP wouldn't assume its ok for your speeds to drop at certain times of the day....

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jul-17 21:56:55
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

BT say its an up to service and that the speeds will drop when everyone comes home from school and work etc.
They also told me on the phone that I was told this when I ordered Infinity 4, which was a lie I wasn't told any speeds, and I specially wasn't told of a minimal speed that its allowed to drop too before its classed as a fault.

I did tell them, No the up to statement is for the ADSL and FTTC due to the speed is dependent on the length of the copper wire that the line is using and then there is crosstalk, so you cannot guarantee a fixed speed.

And FTTP isn't affected by this issues, so its not an up to service, they disagreed with me.

I then went on to say its where you cram way to many connections together which is fine from about 1am to about 16:30, and when everyone comes home from work or school it takes a beating.

They went on to say, that I was the only one that has reported this issue and to wait for 10 days for the line to stable, I laughed and said "wait for what to stable, its FTTP and there is nothing to stable", which they said there is.

I then said that if I am the only one reporting this then there must be an issue, they responded, not until it goes below 40Mbps.

Just shows that loads of BT staff have no clue what they are saying.

I just gave up after that due to it was all going round in circles and getting no where.

The worst I have had it is as low as 75Mbps for around 20 mins, but its normally as low as around 197Mbps from 16:30 to midnight.

BT also told me they won't class it as an issue until it drops below 40Mbit, which I think is a cheek considering what I am paying for.

I might shop around once the minimal contract is over, just a tad bit of an issue is that not many ISP support the 300Mbps FTTP Speeds.

But I am wondering if I can still have the phone via FVA and get the broadband via a different ISP.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Jul-17 23:32:57
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Ah ok, shame that they won't help you further. I would look at moving away from BT once you've completed your min term, zen or idnet would probably be your best bet for the 330/30 service. You should be able to keep your FVA service on bt and take out a data only service from the said isps.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to