General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulLFC1892
(newbie) Sun 02-Jul-17 09:28:40
Print Post

Is it worth me getting fibre?

[link to this post]

I'm only on 5 Meg on ADSL2 at the moment and fibre is available in my village but I'm a mile from the cabinet by road (the number on the cabinet is the one on the BT availability checker).

The BT availabllity checker gave me an estimated fibre speed of 16.5 Meg when fibre first became available in my village but this has now dropped to 8.8 Meg.

My results from the availability checker: http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii109/pault2007/0...

I've seen an 'FTTC speed vs distance from cabinet' chart, though, and this suggests I could get 20 Meg.

I'm not sure if it would help but I had a new phone line installed about a year ago.

Does anyone know if I'd see much of a speed increase on fibre?

Thanks.

Edited by PaulLFC1892 (Sun 02-Jul-17 09:33:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Jul-17 10:35:32
Print Post

Re: Is it worth me getting fibre?

[re: PaulLFC1892] [link to this post]

The charts can be optimistic depending on the data sets they are using the one I run is generally pessimistic.

In your scenario the change suggests someone has ordered and results from that live line have been fed back in and the checker adjusted.

Based on checker this is a you might see an increase, you might not. An extra Meg might make for better streaming, but then it might go down by a Meg

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Jul-17 10:54:24
Print Post

How sure of the actual distance are you? The line may not follow the exact logical path and could double back in some places.

If the graph you are referring to is similar to http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/wp-content/u... then be very cautious. I know quite a few people at 2.5 to 3km who are only seeing around 3 to 5 Mbps whereas the graph suggests 10Mbps. That is probably the theoretical version assuming no noise and a perfect connection and I hope based on 17a.

My gut feel is that you are likely to see nearer the 8 Mbps rather than the 16 or 20.

Is it worth it? You will have a better upstream rate which indirectly allows for less lag on te downstream as ACK and management data is returned quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jul-17 11:17:12
Print Post

I would be tempted. You are getting better than the ADSL stats now (1/2 cut off at the bottom of your picture), so worst case you should get what you have now. Even if its in the end lower, you can always move back from FTTC to ADSL. If you get the extra 3M, then that allows someone in the house to do streaming, while you carry on using the rest, as you do now.

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Jul-17 22:20:14
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

"so worst case you should get what you have now"

VDSL2 does not work like that, worst case would be slower than now and possibly unstable.

While moving back is possible, some providers may drag their heels over arranging it all, so if stable now it may not be worth a number of weeks with poor connectivity. Of course they might go faster but until its actually tried no-one will be able to predict.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(member) Mon 03-Jul-17 09:51:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've forgotten the actual figures, but if I google map my distance from cabinet it's 1.2 mile along the route of line, I get around 1.3 on ADSL and 4 on VDSL, but thats not the full story, these figures only apply to large files, due to errors or whatever a small web page can actually take longer to download. Personally I'd wait to see what the 10mb USO has to offer in 2020.
P.S. By google maps I'm 3.5mile as line runs from exchange.

Edited by burble (Mon 03-Jul-17 09:59:37)

Print Thread

Jump to