General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ueltay
(newbie) Sun 02-Jul-17 18:21:33
Print Post

DSL Checker wrong?

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

I am currently on BT Inifinity Option 1,
I am currently getting 29mbps down and 6mbps up as stated when I opened the contract.

However I have noticed on the dsl checker that I am now able to get 76mbps down and 20mbps up in the best case scenario.

I automatically called BT customer services who confirmed this but noticed that I am on the slower 29mbps speed, so they transferred me to "technical support" they did the usual tests etc and said that the max i am able to get is 29mbps.

I ordered infinity 2 before they transferred me, which is meant to go live on the 4th of July.

I am just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before?

DSLChecker link
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Jul-17 18:26:15
Print Post

Re: DSL Checker wrong?

[re: ueltay] [link to this post]

Infinity 2 does NOTHING to boost your speeds so if connecting at 29/6 now, you will connect at same or similar on Infinity 2 (DLM reset may account for a little variation)

So question is what are the line attenuation figures from modem and have you tested from test socket to rule out issues due to wiring in the home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ueltay
(newbie) Sun 02-Jul-17 18:36:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

HI MrSaffron, Yea i know itll do nothing for speed but they have changed the max attainable speed on dslchecker.

8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 6.6
9. Line attenuation: 31.3 / 27.1
10. Signal attenuation: 31.3 / 23.9

Thats the stats thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jul-17 18:50:10
Print Post

Suspect it's a database error, unless you've noticed any new cabinets popping up or any engineers working on rerouting cabling?

What cabinet and exchange does the DSL checker show? There's a small possibility of an infil cabinet having been installed.

Edited by lee111s (Sun 02-Jul-17 18:51:07)

Standard User ueltay
(newbie) Sun 02-Jul-17 18:55:34
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Ive looked around but cant see anything. There is a possibility of getting connected to a closer cabinet but ive had no word from bt.
Exchange BALLYMONEY is served by Cabinet 2. Doubt the 150million Northern Ireland got for broadband would work that fast....LOL. That cabinet is 900metres away as the crow flies...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Jul-17 20:01:40
Print Post

Your stats and distance to cabinet which will be in excess of 900m suggest that your 29/6 is about the best you will get. You need to cancel the change to Infinity 2 telling them it was sold to you on incorrect data.

To get a full 76Mbps your actual line length needs to be under 400m (approx).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to