General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billd
(learned) Tue 04-Jul-17 10:44:19
Print Post

Openreach FTTC programme Advice Please.

[link to this post]

We have finally had our cabinet upgraded to Fttc after many years of waiting. When the openreach site changed to "Accepting Orders" a few of us in this small village tried to order the new technology. We have found that houses with even numbers and houses with both high and low odd numbers can order but a block of 9 houses in the centre of the village cannot. The openreach site tells us this could be because of the line legnth but houses some 300m longer are getting speeds of 30mbps plus.We have have emailed Openreach but they simply do not answer.
We believe it is simply a mistake on the openreach website but how can we prove this or get anyone to actually listen to us ??
Any advice greatfully appreciated. Anyone wanting to look at the openreach site the postcode is BT389SU and the cabinet is No14 on the Whitehead exchange.

Edited by billd (Tue 04-Jul-17 12:35:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Jul-17 11:03:23
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTP programme Advice Please.

[re: billd] [link to this post]

Am confused, if it is FTTP then distance makes no difference to the speeds.

Looking at the postcode it appears you actually have VDSL2/FTTC - fibre to the cabinet and then the old phone lines to each property.

If the cabinet has just gone live then checkers can take a week or two to resolve themselves.
Believe two likely locations for the actual new cabinet
At junction
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.7463835,-5.7256344...

OR

on Raw Brae Road

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.7547486,-5.7246299...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jul-17 11:05:30
Print Post

I thought I would correct you there by saying its been upgraded to FTTC and not FTTP.

Exchange name: Whitehead 
Exchange status: Fibre enabled 
Cabinet number: 14 
Technology: FTTC

Number 100 on that postcode can only get the following shows that they cabinet isn't close by:

[VDSL Range A Clean]
Downstream: 18 to 26.2 Mbps
  Upstream: 3.7 to 5.9 Mbps

[VDSL Range B Impacted]
Downstream: 9 to 20.6 Mbps
  Upstream: 1.3 to 5 Mbps

So cabinet 14 is just too far for some homes.

Its also down to how the cables are routed, some of the cables might just be too long.

But yeah, I can also see that some of the odd number addresses are listed as being too long.
So this is showing the copper line is going up the road one side and then back down the other.

Also some of your postcode are on cabinet 30 and 41.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billd
(learned) Tue 04-Jul-17 11:14:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The map location you show is correct. The Cabinet is directly opposite the red litter bin by the signs. The madness is that 3 houses directly opposite me have already ordered their fibre and are being quoted 38-40 mbps.
Standard User billd
(learned) Tue 04-Jul-17 11:20:05
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

No 100 is a farm set some 1/2 mile from the road at the end of the village so that makes sense. the houses shown as connected to cabinets 30 and 41 although shown on the checker do not have active lines . The phone line does run down one side of the road (mine) as far as 111 belfast road and then up the other (the even numbers) #confused
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 04-Jul-17 12:11:41
Print Post

Cab 14 has been upgraded to FTTC. The is some FTTP for whitehead, probably for EO lines which maybe why some cannot order yet
Standard User billd
(learned) Tue 04-Jul-17 12:21:53
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Sorry my mistake. It is FTTC I am looking for . Just cannot figure out how in a small village, with all houses on the road (except2) and the furthest being 300m further from the cabinet we in the unlucky 9 in the middle of the village cannot get FTTC speeds when those directly opposite us can.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 04-Jul-17 12:26:50
Print Post

Is your line deffo on cab 14 on the dsl checker?
Standard User billd
(learned) Tue 04-Jul-17 12:37:24
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yes definately is. Confirmed on Openreach site as well.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 04-Jul-17 14:00:14
Print Post

Im guessing they come off the same Distribution Point. Probably a data issue in openreach. Maybe google for OR ceo email addy and try the direct approach.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to