General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyhurley
(learned) Mon 10-Jul-17 16:47:22
Print Post

Force install of FTTC when too far from cabinet

[link to this post]

Does anyone know if it is possible to force BT to install FTTC to an address which is too far from the cabinet to get 'Infinity'?

Our cabinet was upgraded a year ago and is accepting orders but BT won't allow me to order Infinity as we are 3km from the cabinet and therefore predicted a lowish rate (3.2Mbps).

Our ADSL used to give 4.5Mbps but occasionally drops to 1Mbps. It is in such a mode at the moment (I don't know if the hot weather could be contributory) and a chat with BT revealed that they don't consider this a problem as the guaranteed rate is just 1Mbps. I tried to request that they order FTTC for my line but they didn't seem able to do so.

Obviously there is no guarantee that FTTC will be better but maybe it would be more consistent at least.

Superfast Essex seem to be suggesting that there may be some sort of plan to improve fibre by 2019 but I don't know if that is based on any real data.

The cabinet in question is GT DUNMOW 12 and the village Little Easton.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Jul-17 16:49:38
Print Post

Re: Force install of FTTC when too far from cabinet

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

You can order "faster total broadband" which is FTTC that BT won't sell as Infinity as the predicted speed is sub 15meg.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Jul-17 16:52:26
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Or you can try another provider, since you don't have to order VDSL2 from BT Retail

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyhurley
(learned) Mon 10-Jul-17 16:58:17
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Should that come up as an option when I try to upgrade? I have certainly never seen it but I'll try those words with an agent next time I am taking to one.

BTW, just done a quick measure along the road path (which is probably the route the cables take but impossible to be sure as some of it is underground) and it comes to 2.5km.
Standard User andyhurley
(learned) Mon 10-Jul-17 16:59:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Or you can try another provider, since you don't have to order VDSL2 from BT Retail

I don't HAVE to but it certainly would make things simpler as I also have mobiles with BT and about 10 months to run on the latest contract renewal.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Jul-17 17:02:01
Print Post

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

It should do, but while the wholesale checker may show an estimated speeds there is nothing stopping providers deciding not to sell to you below a certain speed.

2.5km is in the region where chances of things working are about the same as guessing 3 coin tosses correctly

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Jul-17 17:10:08
Print Post

Openreach to install fibre cabinet with 3km away from the property is seem very unfair play from BT. I think Street Cabinet should be BANNED for more than 1.5km away from the property. Just saying.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Jul-17 17:14:07
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Only stupid if all the premises are that far away, without knowing the cabinet hard to pass judgement in such a sweeping manner as you've managed.

Stopping install of a cabinet because of 1 property when maybe 50 others will benefit helps no-one, and if a BDUK funded one the long lines are not qualifying for subsidy anyway.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Jul-17 17:16:02
Print Post

Could have install more cabinets maybe three or four to reach within 1km away.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 10-Jul-17 18:16:31
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Are you offering to pay for all the extra cabinets that will be required to get everyone within a 1km range?
Seems a backwards policy to prevent a fibre cabinet install because a few properties are further than 1km. That's probably 10,000+ cabinets.

How would you like your cabinet being removed because 1 of the customers on it is 2km away?

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 10-Jul-17 18:18:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to