General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Tue 11-Jul-17 09:44:37
Print Post

Infinity4 Installation Nightmare

[link to this post]

I've had a nightmare of an installation with BT FTTP.
Order placed in April, installation set for May, on due date BT said there was a fault on the new fibre network so they just connected the old copper line which had been disconnected for several years ( I had been using mobile data since it was faster than the old copper line).
Fault was fixed in June, engineer turned up to do a Light Test and supposedly gave the Ok for another installation attempt.
Due date arrived, 3rd July, engineer turn up, I'm expecting ONT and battery unit because that's what I'd been told on the phone by BT the previous Friday, he says he's just doing another Light Test, carries out test and leaves. Engineer then apparently signs off the job as complete and closes order.
So I ring up BT and say installation has not happened, I get through to a manager and he's livid, supposedly spends 2 hours on the phone to engineers asking them why they have closed the order without fitting the ONT.
Manager phones back on Wednesday offering another installation appointment on Thursday afternoon. Engineer turns up, explains it has been difficult for him to get equipment released after previous engineer had closed job. He fits ONT but does not have a battery unit for me.
So eventually up and running with Internet access but my account still does not show that I have a broadband package so I can't access the extras I'm paying for, particularly the 500GB BT Cloud service.
For the pleasure of all this hassle BT have also raised an invoice for £198 on my account and when I claimed my rewards card it has turned out to be £75 and not the £120 on offer when I placed my order in April.
BT just don't get ant better do they? This is all at a time when BT are supposedly trying to encourage people to make best use of the fibre networks which are being rolled out in rural areas.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 10 x64
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Fractal Design R3 Black Case

Edited by jsp21c (Tue 11-Jul-17 10:25:06)

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sat 15-Jul-17 18:34:28
Print Post

Re: Infinity4 Installation Nightmare

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

Consider yourself lucky you have the option for fttp! Im rural and cant even get fttc, just 1mb adsl!
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sat 15-Jul-17 20:06:10
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

I don't really think he should consider himself "lucky". You can consider yourself unlucky, but I don't think it's relevant to this problem, is it?

Anyway I don't want a big silly internet forum argument, and it must be annoying to be stuck with 1Mb in 2017. On with the thread.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 15-Jul-17 20:07:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Jul-17 21:07:08
Print Post

If you PM me I can give you a direct complaints team. It does sound like you're up and running now though.
Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Sun 23-Jul-17 13:16:30
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks ukhardy07, I did also write on the BT forum and Robbie from BT has been in touch and has worked through the problems, I've now got access to the cloud, my package is displaying properly and the bill sorted out. I'm now just waiting for the rewards card to be delivered and then get it topped up to the correct amount.

I was quite OK with there being a fault on the line which needed to be repaired, but when the Openreach engineer turned up on 3rd July and he didn't install the ONT but closed the job as completed then that was shocking customer service. I hope the issues have been identified and other customers don't get treated in this way.

Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Sun 23-Jul-17 13:31:37
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

You're right, I'm lucky that FTTP has been rolled out in my area, but before this I didn't even have adsl, only mobile data by tethering my smartphone.

I've gone from having no fixed line Internet to having one of the best available but it hasn't been easy. Fibre lines were put up on poles in July 2015, green boxes were mounted on poles in summer 2016 and some underground work was done to get around electric wires in late 2016. I ordered FTTP in April 2017 as soon as it showed as available, particularly as BT were encouraging people to use the newly installed infrastructure.
One issue I do see is that there hasn't been a great uptake in my postcode area, just one other property connected so far.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Jul-17 16:18:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by jsp21c:
One issue I do see is that there hasn't been a great uptake in my postcode area, just one other property connected so far.

Which is why there's been the historic reluctance to invest the billions it will require to roll out to the masses. Even those who do take up FTTP, almost always opt for the lower tier speeds.

Edited by lee111s (Sun 23-Jul-17 16:35:45)

Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Sun 23-Jul-17 16:29:54
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Correct let's not let BT Group think they can have any more of the taxpayers money.

Almost as criminal as the banks. smile))
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Jul-17 16:36:48
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

Easy to say when you're cruising on FTTP.

No so easy for me sat on 2meg ADSL tongue

I'd pay the installation fee for FoD but the monthly commitment is too much.
Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Sun 23-Jul-17 16:47:31
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

My sympathies are with you although I'm not on FTTP but FTTC. Although the way BT have did this village probably cost more with the 3 cabinets they put in at random times (taxpayer money ofcourse) Rather than maybe pursuing a FTTP for the whole village as every single line in this entire village is provided by a overhead pole.

Lets be honest though if they did put FTTP in the village probably 30% if that would take the higher package but yeah lets keep installing old technology its the British Way of doing things fortunately. The never ending cycle of milking the consumers and taxplayers for every penny.

Went a bit off topic so apologies!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to