General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User screig
(newbie) Thu 13-Jul-17 09:51:05
Print Post

Converting from FTTC to FTTH

[link to this post]

Hi

I was wondering if someone knows or could explain the architecture of converting from, FTTC to FTTH. I'm not suggesting I want this myself or am attempting it. More the technical aspect, Virign runs the last 100m (or so) using a Co-Ax cable and Openreach uses VDSL which itself uses a copper cable.

Now say theoretically one was one going to change to FTTH. Would it simply be a case of replacing the boxes in the cabinet (to a fiber network switch, I imagine?) and running fiber from the cabinet to the houses?

Thanks
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jul-17 10:16:13
Print Post

Re: Converting from FTTC to FTTH

[re: screig] [link to this post]

Not quite.

Certainly for Openreach's fibre network, the fibre doesn't come from the cabinet for FTTP.

It comes from a series of aggregation nodes, which branch out from the exchange to splitter nodes, which then fan out to distrubution points/manifolds.

The fibre is then connected from the DP to your home.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Jul-17 20:28:20
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

It "might" also be required to route back to another agg node (i.e. the parent agg node) than what the FTTC is on too.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 13-Jul-17 20:50:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jul-17 20:42:08
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Absolutely, whilst cabs share the same infrastructre, the network design doesn't always make sense to joe public wink
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Jul-17 20:50:00
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Absolutely, whilst cabs share the same infrastructre, the network design doesn't always make sense to joe public wink

And even though the Agg Node for the FTTC "might" be very close, the parent one which it "might" need to be routed from "might" be a lot further down the road.

So Joe Public might think, that's not bad the nearest Agg Node is only there, when in fact it will probably be using that one a lot further down the road, assuming there is a few fibres free.

And we all know the further away it is the more money it will cost.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
  Print Thread

Jump to