General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BIGEYE
(newbie) Tue 18-Jul-17 19:41:59
Print Post

Switch to IDnet from Zen...maybe?

[link to this post]

I am a long term user of Zen and have their Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 account. I am now looking at moving to IDnet and would like some advice. Firstly, can anyone advise the difference in layman's terms between FTTC 40/10 and FTTC 55/10.

My existing router is a TP-Link TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2 Modem Router. Will my router be compatible with IDnet Fibre Unlimited if I switch?

Lastly, is IDnet any better than Zen, by way of speed, support and customer service?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jul-17 08:04:26
Print Post

Re: Switch to IDnet from Zen...maybe?

[re: BIGEYE] [link to this post]

Firstly, can anyone advise the difference in layman's terms between FTTC 40/10 and FTTC 55/10

It is exactly as it says on the tin - the difference is the cap. If you have a line capable of doing more than 40Mbps then it would be capped at 40 on the 40/10 product but on the 55/10 product it would be capped at 55 (of course if your line can only do, say, 48 then that is the most you would get on the 55/10).

There are no other differences I know of between the two products.

Can't help with your other questions.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Jul-17 09:32:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by BIGEYE:
I am a long term user of Zen and have their Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 account. I am now looking at moving to IDnet and would like some advice. Firstly, can anyone advise the difference in layman's terms between FTTC 40/10 and FTTC 55/10.

The FTTC 55/10 is just like the 40/10, but 37.5% faster on the download (presuming your line can handle that higher sync rate).
My existing router is a TP-Link TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2 Modem Router. Will my router be compatible with IDnet Fibre Unlimited if I switch?

Yes.
Lastly, is IDnet any better than Zen, by way of speed, support and customer service?

Had to use customer service initially to get IPv6 reverse DNS sorted out and to address an MTU issue I experienced with IPv6 traffic. Both issues were resolved well.

During busy periods, IDNet can tend to be slower than Zen (as observed from speed testing), but overall, this hasn't bothered me in the slightest.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User derekdel
(committed) Wed 19-Jul-17 20:50:12
Print Post

I thought Idnet used the zen backhaul where available?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jul-17 08:32:42
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Zen are only one of their wholesale providers.
  Print Thread

Jump to