General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ANDREWMVP
(newbie) Tue 18-Jul-17 23:46:18
Print Post

From ADSL to BT INFINITY - Milton Keynes - Whitehouse area

[link to this post]

Hello,

I would like to mention that I bought a new house in Whitehouse area (Milton Keynes). The developers in the area are: Abbey New Homes, Bellway and Taylor Wimpey from my knowledge. At Grange Farm roundabout BT manage to facilitate only a box that provide us with ADSL in 2017 OMG frown. Unfortunately I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel because some roads will remain private and because it's still a construction site I have to wait until my road will be adopted. I saw that I our area at approximately 0.9 miles from my home they have BT Infinity (13 Hayman Rise, Grange Farm, Milton Keynes, MK8 0N). If anyone had similar experience with BT and OPENREACH it will be much appreciated if they can tell me how long it took from ADSL to INFINITY.
[IMG]http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6466276478.png[/IMG]"]SPEEDTEST

Kind regards,

Andrew
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jul-17 03:43:22
Print Post

Re: From ADSL to BT INFINITY - Milton Keynes - Whitehouse ar

[re: ANDREWMVP] [link to this post]

Andrew,

You're looking in the wrong direction for the source of your problem. It is the developers who are responsible for informing BT of their requirements and working with BT to make the appropriate arrangements. Your situation suggests to me that the developers were more interested in building and selling their properties than ensuring that they had 21st century services.
Standard User hvis42
(learned) Wed 19-Jul-17 08:16:56
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

If this is so, I feel we need an urgent change in legislation or regulation.

If Openreach are allowed in year 2017 to install anything else to a new building than infrastructure suitable for year 2017 (this has to mean at least FTTC except in rare circumstances - a lone house built in a very remote location), they need to be forced to drop this practice. In contrast, if developers can block Openreach from installing modern infrastructure, they need to be forced to stop this.

It is utterly counterproductive to talk about 10 Mbps USO from 2020, need for superfast speeds and the huge project that is ahead of us if even newly built connections are allowed to fall below these marks. They had to pay something to install the current cables and very soon they have to pick up the shovel and do it again, to replace the year 1999 infrastructure they just delivered with something that is suitable for today, preferably for tomorrow as well.

I have heard of Openreach not doing it properly unless developer pays them, and I have also heard developers demanding protection money from infrastructure providers to allow them to do their thing. Whichever the problem is, we need to make it go away as the current system of installing long ADSL only capable lines to urban new builds is the definition of waste. The problem of bringing the whole of the country to superfast and very soon after that ultrafast speeds is a massive undertaking, and no one should be allowed to magnify it.

H

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jul-17 08:38:12
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

I'm sure the government were looking at changing building regs to make it a requirement on builders for new builds - it is the builder that contracts the supplier for provision and the builder doesn't have to go to BT. If BT are selected by the builder then they install what the builder asks for.

Lobby government to force the builders to do better.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Jul-17 08:46:47
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

It's simple: the developer will build the houses as cheaply as possible and flog them for as much as possible. This often means the developer choosing the cheapest utilities options e.g. 100% copper instead of FTTC/P, IGT gas supply instead of Transco etc.

I know this doesn't help the OP, but since 2015/2016 Openreach do not charge extra for installing FTTP on a new build site versus copper provided there's at least 30 properties being built. I suspect the OP's site was started well before OR decided to offer this.

OP, first of all you need to find out what, if any, plans are for FTTC/P in your area
by looking on the Openreach Superfast site:

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g...

If there's no plans then get in touch with you local MP, make a big song & dance about it and then you might get somewhere. You may also want to club together with your neighbours/other residents and self fund a FTTC cabinet or even FTTP through Openreach.

If I was in your shoes and the developer was still building houses, I would stick a slow broadband poster in my window with a nice picture of a snail which every potential customer could see. That may just spur the developer into doing something.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 19-Jul-17 08:57:45)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 19-Jul-17 08:50:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I was involved in a project last year where the builder wanted to run just 3 pair CW1308 from the central utility room/facility in the basement to each apartment. It was suggested that they put in ducts to allow fibre in future - but no.

A final compromise was to run a Cat5e or Cat6 cable to each apartment along with 2xCW1308 - at least then it would be possible for fibre to be terminated in the building and a Gbit Ethernet feed to each apartment and even getting that was a struggle. At one time they wanted to put in just Cat5e/6 - that would have meant no separate voice circuits if the VDSL or Fibre termination was in the basement.

How easy it would have been to provide a potential route for fibre - but no, a small saving was all they cared about.

BT were willing to support which ever solution the builder decided on and would have specified the ducting for a potential future fibre upgrade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jul-17 09:25:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

If it's like other installations I've heard about then the builder probably won't test the network cabling and when something actually gets plugged in it probably won't work properly due to poor termination or routing.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Jul-17 10:40:56
Print Post

As roads are still private then what Openreach does needs to be in agreement with a developer, options that cost developers to provider VDSL2 or full fibre existed for some time, or going with another full fibre provider has been an option for years.

Openreach has changed its policy and will be offering full fibre to new developments of more than 30 premises now, but this is a recent thing and not applied retrospectively, and still relies on the developer agreeing as the construction work they do will vary slightly.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ANDREWMVP
(newbie) Wed 19-Jul-17 10:49:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The developers act unprofessional I spoke with the site manager and he said we don't care about FTC or FTP so we are alone and at the mercy of OPENREACH and BT. My only hope is to raise money and pay OPENREACH to have at least FTC if we are lucky to find interested people.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jul-17 11:39:28
Print Post

Your problem is clearly with the developer and not BT. Get your facts straight and lobby those who are at fault which is firstly the developer and perhaps secondly yourself for not having considered this before purchasing your property. Interestingly I don't hear you complaining that Virgin Media haven't cabled your development just BT whereas both supply and install broadband connections as do an number of others such as See the Light, Hyperoptic and Gigaclear. BT is no more obliged to provide you with a connection than any other company.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to